Sign in to follow this  
crvm

Some general questions

After doing flightsimming for some years now, I have still some basic questions, maybe someone can answer them?I almost exclusively use havy jetliners.1.) Flying in turbulent weather conditions: I experienced that even if the winds blow the aircraft's nose to the right and to the left, the plane seems to stay more or less on the desired path in the long run. Only approaches seem to be critical, and I usually counteract any turbulence here.How do real pilots fight against turbulences (e.g. rudder appliance)?2.) Are approaches in windy conditions flown with the yaw damper on or off in real life?3.) When manual rudder is applied, does this override the yaw damper in reality?Andreas

1] The best way is to avoid severe weather if at all possible i.e. fly above or around. If you're one hand flying through such conditions, each airline has it's own stadard operating procedure i.e. SOP, as a general rule here, locate your *turbulent air penetration maneuver speed margins* and maintain a wings level flight, focus on the attitude indicator as your primary instrument. Whatever you do, do not use sudden or extreme inputs even for severe up or down drafts, and establish your *trim* speed, you should also set *thrust* following the above example. There are other items but you get the idea. 2] On the 767-757 the Yaw Damper is 99% of the time on *Auto*, this includes T/O and Landing. 3] Yes, and a side note here, you cannot *feel* the yaw damper movements or better stated - alignment/corrections through the rudder peddles made by the yaw damper system (at least on the 757-767 series).[h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. SmithSan Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3] [h5]AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG @ 215/545|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h5]