Sign in to follow this  
Mudhen

Miscellaneous Assistance?

Newbie alert!I notice filenames in some of the FS9 subfolders that suggest FS9 contains images for vehicles, baggage carts, ships, and other things. Can I make use of these, adding them to their appropriate places of operation? Or does FS9 make them appear on its own?I would also like to populate my sim skies and airports with specific aircraft (MD-80, 737) painted for specific US domestic airlines (American, American Eagle, Northwest, Continental, Jet Blue). How do I go about that, please? Is "AI" the term used for aircraft that appear in the air at random? And is "static" the term for aircraft that are parked at a gate or some other place? And I see that some enterprising folks provide flight plans with their airport add-ons. What do those flight plans consist of and what use can I make of them?Thanks, Gary

Newbie alert!I notice filenames in some of the FS9 subfolders that suggest FS9 contains images for vehicles, baggage carts, ships, and other things. Can I make use of these, adding them to their appropriate places of operation? Or does FS9 make them appear on its own?I would also like to populate my sim skies and airports with specific aircraft (MD-80, 737) painted for specific US domestic airlines (American, American Eagle, Northwest, Continental, Jet Blue). How do I go about that, please? Is "AI" the term used for aircraft that appear in the air at random? And is "static" the term for aircraft that are parked at a gate or some other place? And I see that some enterprising folks provide flight plans with their airport add-ons. What do those flight plans consist of and what use can I make of them?Thanks, Gary
The baggage carts etc which you see in the FS9 folders will appear at certain airports if MS designed them to do so. They can also be added to airports by a user if the user has a third party object placing program - some of which are freeware and some are payware.Much of what you may see at very large airports will depend upon how you have your "Scenery Complexity" (Options/Settings/Display) slider set. As an example, jetways will apear at Seattle (KSEA) if it is set to "Very Dense" - at any lower setting you do not see them.In my opinon, your best best for replacing the AI traffic with real world airlines are the World of AI packages. Very simple to install and they cover almost every airline in the world.http://www.world-of-ai.com/packages.phpAI is indeed "artificial intelligence" - as opposed to an aircraft which you fly - and they may be seen on the ground and in the skies. Static simply means they do not move - i.e. are a part of the scenery.You will also see flight plan packages - they normally require you to find, download and install the specific aircraft which the plans call for and to use the free Traffic Tools program by Lee Swordy to compile the plans into a useable Traffic file.There is a lot to learn so take your time and feel free to ask for assistance. :(

Hi Opa,Oh brother, do I realize that there is a lot to learn. I think that I really have no idea! I'll take time to digest your reply and do some investigating. Thanks for your thorough answer. All us novices must keep you busy. A puzzling thing - I used Rwy12 to add a few objects, and the instructions told me that the default folder in which to place them was an FS9 folder named Static Object Library, and it made it sound as though that folder should already exist. It wasn't there - I had to create it. Should I have expected that, or is a small piece of FS9 possibly missing?Another thing. I hope I use the correct terms. I'd like to simulate my house with something a little less generic looking. Where would I be likely to find a selection of houses and possibly a few other neighborhood objects for use with FS9?Lastly, I'd like to add or remove some trees here and there - maybe even creating a small forest... , and to replace a very nice FS9 scenery add-on's rendition of a prominent local building with something more like the real thing. Where can I look for things like that, and do I need to use something I'm also unfamiliar with - an exclude list - to do a quality job on changes like these - by virtually erasing default FS9 or add-on scenery? I've also got to find a primer on textures and how to use them. Got a lot to do, don't I?Thanks Again, Gary Granath

The baggage carts etc which you see in the FS9 folders will appear at certain airports if MS designed them to do so. They can also be added to airports by a user if the user has a third party object placing program - some of which are freeware and some are payware.Much of what you may see at very large airports will depend upon how you have your "Scenery Complexity" (Options/Settings/Display) slider set. As an example, jetways will apear at Seattle (KSEA) if it is set to "Very Dense" - at any lower setting you do not see them.In my opinon, your best best for replacing the AI traffic with real world airlines are the World of AI packages. Very simple to install and they cover almost every airline in the world.http://www.world-of-ai.com/packages.phpAI is indeed "artificial intelligence" - as opposed to an aircraft which you fly - and they may be seen on the ground and in the skies. Static simply means they do not move - i.e. are a part of the scenery.You will also see flight plan packages - they normally require you to find, download and install the specific aircraft which the plans call for and to use the free Traffic Tools program by Lee Swordy to compile the plans into a useable Traffic file.There is a lot to learn so take your time and feel free to ask for assistance. :(

Hi Opa,Oh brother, do I realize that there is a lot to learn. I think that I really have no idea! I'll take time to digest your reply and do some investigating. Thanks for your thorough answer. All us novices must keep you busy. A puzzling thing - I used Rwy12 to add a few objects, and the instructions told me that the default folder in which to place them was an FS9 folder named Static Object Library, and it made it sound as though that folder should already exist. It wasn't there - I had to create it. Should I have expected that, or is a small piece of FS9 possibly missing?Another thing. I hope I use the correct terms. I'd like to simulate my house with something a little less generic looking. Where would I be likely to find a selection of houses and possibly a few other neighborhood objects for use with FS9?Lastly, I'd like to add or remove some trees here and there - maybe even creating a small forest... , and to replace a very nice FS9 scenery add-on's rendition of a prominent local building with something more like the real thing. Where can I look for things like that, and do I need to use something I'm also unfamiliar with - an exclude list - to do a quality job on changes like these - by virtually erasing default FS9 or add-on scenery? I've also got to find a primer on textures and how to use them. Got a lot to do, don't I?Thanks Again, Gary Granath
Keeping us busy also helps keep us young!I am a bit surprised that you did not find a folder named Static Object Library as that "should" have been automatically created when you installed the RWY12 program. It is not something that comes with Fs2004 however.If your RWY12 "creations" worked, that is probably all that matters.Did you go through the FAQ document very carefully? http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=75973I worked with the late Seev Kahn and others to help make the installation and use of the RWY12 program as painless as possible.After you get the hang of placing objects you may wish to step up to a payware program such as the EZ Object Placer or my favorite, the Instant Scenery Object placing program. Either of these can place literally hundreds of objects of all kinds and the best part is they have a "what you see is what you get" interface - no more guess work as you have with RWY12.To exclude default objects such as buildings and trees many of us use this program:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...&DLID=71534There are also many, many tutorials and guides in the library - mostly in the FS2004 Miscelleanous category - on virtually every FS related subject. And lastly you may find my Tips and Tricks for FS2004 series (25 issues in all) of interest. Just do a search for my name and you will find them.A word of caution - FS2004 can be (and often is) addicting!! :(

Regretfully, I did not read the FAQ doc. I went straight to the User doc and missed some important info. I don't tend to read FAQs unless I have questions, and the User doc answered my questions. Oh well. I wasn't able to place any aircraft even after creating/populating the Static Object Library myself. So I probably missed something essential.Since you say that your favorite is Instant Scenery object placing program, I may just check the price and not use Rwy12 any longer. Can IS do everything Rwy12 can do... and more? Is IS's selection of structures (residential bldgs particularly) larger than Rwy12's? Can I preview IS to see what it contains before buying?I'll look for your Tips and Tricks. FS2004 is as you say - truly addicting. My dear wife wonders where I've gone.Gary

Keeping us busy also helps keep us young!I am a bit surprised that you did not find a folder named Static Object Library as that "should" have been automatically created when you installed the RWY12 program. It is not something that comes with Fs2004 however.If your RWY12 "creations" worked, that is probably all that matters.Did you go through the FAQ document very carefully? http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=75973I worked with the late Seev Kahn and others to help make the installation and use of the RWY12 program as painless as possible.After you get the hang of placing objects you may wish to step up to a payware program such as the EZ Object Placer or my favorite, the Instant Scenery Object placing program. Either of these can place literally hundreds of objects of all kinds and the best part is they have a "what you see is what you get" interface - no more guess work as you have with RWY12.To exclude default objects such as buildings and trees many of us use this program:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...&DLID=71534There are also many, many tutorials and guides in the library - mostly in the FS2004 Miscelleanous category - on virtually every FS related subject. And lastly you may find my Tips and Tricks for FS2004 series (25 issues in all) of interest. Just do a search for my name and you will find them.A word of caution - FS2004 can be (and often is) addicting!! :(

Regretfully, I did not read the FAQ doc. I went straight to the User doc and missed some important info. I don't tend to read FAQs unless I have questions, and the User doc answered my questions. Oh well. I wasn't able to place any aircraft even after creating/populating the Static Object Library myself. So I probably missed something essential.Since you say that your favorite is Instant Scenery object placing program, I may just check the price and not use Rwy12 any longer. Can IS do everything Rwy12 can do... and more? Is IS's selection of structures (residential bldgs particularly) larger than Rwy12's? Can I preview IS to see what it contains before buying?I'll look for your Tips and Tricks. FS2004 is as you say - truly addicting. My dear wife wonders where I've gone.Gary
Yes - both EZ (from Abacus) and Instant Scenery (from Flight1) have free trial downloads - limited to placing objects within a 50 mile radius of Seattle. That is enough to get a feeling of how the programs work.Both cost about the same (approx $25 US) and both are by the same author. IS is considerably more advanced and works in both FS2004 and FSX. Both can can place all of the default FS objects, all of the RWY12 objects and all of the EZ style library objects which users have uploaded to this and other sites. Even though "real men don't read directions", you will find that it really is wise to do so with anything relating to FS. That would include flying the lessons in FS and consulting the Help section as much is to be gleaned from these resources also.Have fun! and tell your wife she is not alone - there are many "FS widows" out there.

Actually I am quite a stickler for reading the directions. I blew it this time though. I have complete success after following the FAQs. I'm having trouble though, fine tuning the position of adjacent objects. Is it possible to butt one object right up against another in some easy way? After that I would hope for a way to group them and move them together from then on.I'm trying to simulate a multi-building complex by positioning two similar structures very close to each other. I've spent time matching headings and long/lat and am very close, but it has taken a while. Thanks very much for your patient help. Actually, I have a more global question. I just took a look at flight1's Instant Scenery demo and will have to spend more time exploring the full set of demo objects; most don't have thumbnails and it'll take a long time to look at all the full-size images. A thought struck me while looking at flight1's offerings. Instead of piecemeal mesh, terrain, sky, clouds, and other updates to my FS9, in the interests of time spent and simplicity, would a single flight1 package (or maybe a couple) provide everything I'm likely to want in a single install? What's your experience with that kind of approach? I'm interested in more realistic terrain most of all.For FS2004 they offer Ground Environment and Ground environment CD Edition, Flight Environment, FS Global 2008, FS Water, and Ultimate Terrain USA for FS2004. The last offering sounds particularly interesting to me. I'd like to replace FS9's flat rendition of North Carolina's piedmont area with something more realistic. It isn't completely flat here. I notice that the last offering requires a 1.6GHz processor, which I have, and 128MB video adapter. I think I only have 64MB so I may have to wait till my PC dies and get an upgrade. Maybe Ground environment would work for me. Have an opinion?If you prefer to respond privately instead of posting for public view, feel free to email me at granath@verizon.net.--Thanks, Gary

Yes - both EZ (from Abacus) and Instant Scenery (from Flight1) have free trial downloads - limited to placing objects within a 50 mile radius of Seattle. That is enough to get a feeling of how the programs work.Both cost about the same (approx $25 US) and both are by the same author. IS is considerably more advanced and works in both FS2004 and FSX. Both can can place all of the default FS objects, all of the RWY12 objects and all of the EZ style library objects which users have uploaded to this and other sites. Even though "real men don't read directions", you will find that it really is wise to do so with anything relating to FS. That would include flying the lessons in FS and consulting the Help section as much is to be gleaned from these resources also.Have fun! and tell your wife she is not alone - there are many "FS widows" out there.