Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markturner

PhotoScenery, .cfg settings, TBM & FFL et al.....

Hi, I know several of these areas have been discussed in some current threads, but I thought it would be usefull to discuss from a photoscenery viewpoint. I am a keen user of Megascenery including their latest Megasceneryearth range for the USA. Out of the box the installer alters several .cfg file parameters and adds some additional ones, such as the fibre frame rate setting of 0.33. There is the option within the installer for it not to do this. Do the developers know something we dont or have they got it wrong, as I thought that tweak was not required post SP2 ? Also, what is the perceived wisdom regarding settings such as TBM, LOD radius etc for using photoscenery ? I dont for instance use the autogen at all, as i think it spoils the effect, i am not bothered about how it looks from 1000ft, for me, the realistic affect from 2000ft upwards is much more important. Can Nick or any of you other gurus, advise on what will help settings wise ? Obviously I have been experimenting myself, and I think I have a fairly good setup now, but I am sure it is not 100%. For instance , I have FS dreamscapes Next map 4.75m mesh for california, what would be the best setting on mesh resolution to take max advantage ? Do you lose out setting the resoltion higher or lower? Does enabling land detail textures help ? Finally, where and how should I layer the photoscenery in relation to everything else in my scenery library for best results? Many thanks, Mark

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Do the developers know something we dont or have they got it wrong, as I thought that tweak was not required post SP2 ?
Developers are NEVER wrong! :( I never allow the MegaScenery program change my settings (but have seen they DO change no matter if you untick the recommend settings). "Also, what is the perceived wisdom regarding settings such as TBM, LOD radius etc for using photoscenery ? I dont for instance use the autogen at all, as i think it spoils the effect, i am not bothered about how it looks from 1000ft, for me, the realistic affect from 2000ft upwards is much more important."I have mine set to LOD radius large. It all depends on your computing power. And you're right about having the realistic effect at 2000 plus feet."I have FS dreamscapes Next map 4.75m mesh for california, what would be the best setting on mesh resolution to take max advantage ? Do you lose out setting the resoltion higher or lower? Does enabling land detail textures help ?"Same here! I have the FS Dreamscape mesh. I have my mesh setting set to whatever FS Dreamscape requires (5m). Land detail textures is turned off. MegaScenery requires it but that was for FS9 and I'm assuming it's required in FSX too. "Finally, where and how should I layer the photoscenery in relation to everything else in my scenery library for best results?" If I have an addon airport scenery (like I just purchased FS DreamTeams Vegas) I had to put MegaScenery above the airport in the Scenery Library. So, for instance, MegaScenery Vegas would be Number One in the Scenery Library and the airport scenery Number 2.If you haven't visited the MegaScenery forum, I highly recommend it. A lot of your questions can be answered there too (and maybe why many have not responded to your questions before). The above settings work best for me and may or may not work for you depending on your system configuration and other variables. It's too bad we can't have an FSX that has only one optimal setting for everyone no matter what but that will never be the case. Hope this helps!Best regards.Jim

Thx jim, maybe i should head on over there !! It is all so confusing, I have just read in another thread on this page that Nick says that the FFRL line is not required and is redundant. So why do they put it in your .cfg file when Megascenery is installed?? :( It certainly is a long road to FSX nirvana, but I am having a great time travelling it and meeting some very helpful and well informed people on the way, thx for patience all, MarkBTW, anyone else reading this who has anything to add regarding photoscenery, feel free!!!!