Sign in to follow this  
PingPong

Getting a new hard-drive

Guest Phantoms
Did all the addons go over as well? Like the level d and pmdg stuff?
Everything. Like I said, anything registry entry that pointed to my installation directory (C:\games\FSX... for me) was changed to the new directory (D:\FSX...). This includes everything that puts a registry entry containing that path, not just MSFS.

If you are copying the first HDD (the WHOLE drive) to the new one, including the OS and all that, using a transfer utility, you will NOT need to reinstall FSX because it will be in the same location (e.g. "C:", "D:"), but if you are getting a new HDD and not moving the entire old drive to the new one, just FSX, you will probably need to reinstall FSX on the second HDD, unless you are willing to mess with the registry...

I found a freeware application called application mover which did the moved and changed the registry entities.The program runs and I had to re-direct active sky and FS flight school, and reinstall some sceneries(not all, but some), but it's working well and FSX seems to like the breathing room on the new hard-drive.There are still alot of registry entries that point to the C drive installation and I am tempted to change or delete them, but there are over 3000 entries and I don't want to waste my time if everything is running.