Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mendota

Anyone Liking Just Flight 747 Classic Collection?

Guest Mendota

I've read the review. I've read the reviews of the review. I'm concerned about poor performance.I know it is not RFP 747. However, the idea of once again having a tape panel in front of me, and playing with early INS during long flights is tempting. I have enough complex add-ons. I'm suffering from manual fatigue. It might be fun to have something simpler. The details like air stairs look like the kind of toys that I enjoy.So do people who have it enjoy it? I'm willing to live with some issues if it runs reasonably well, looks good inside and out, and overall makes me feel like I've flying a classic 747, and doesn't have a high frustration factor.

I bought the CLS 747200/300 (but bought it from Just Flight because it was cheaper from them than direct from CLS). I think I paid 15 quid for it because it was 20 quid and I used some of my Just Flight loyalty points (which are accrued from having bought other stuff there). Even at the price CLS charge for it, I think it would still be good value to be honest. Getting over 20 different 747-200/300s for 15 quid that will work in either sim, and can have either FMC or INS navigation systems, in addition to three different engine options, plus the option to get all the freighter versions too for another fiver is a bargain in anyone's language.There have been complaints that it is 'not a native FSX aircraft', and whilst that is true, I've not had any issues with it in FSX or FS9 for that matter, it runs fine for me. In fact I used the CLS FSX version to test out the navaids for the Malta International scenery review I've just done for Avsim, and I certainly would not have done that if it didn't run okay in FSX. The INS system and 'old school steam gauges' were what prompted me to buy it more than anything; I like using FMCs, but sometimes they take the fun out of things a bit, and using a bit of old fashioned piloting and navigation skill can put that fun back on occasion.Not every system is functional, so it is simpler to use than the PMDG 400 variant, but most of the ones that make things different are, so, don't expect to be fiddling with the APU, or transferring fuel all over the place on the flight engineer's panel (although some stuff on the engineer's panel works, such as fuel dump). The INS operation and CDU is pretty much bang on to the real thing (and just as confusing/fun depending on how you look at things). The FMC is a 'lite' treatment of an FMC (although not hugely dumbed down), and whether with INS or FMC, you can dump an FS flight plan into there and just get going, so it's not one of those FS add-ons where you are scratching your head for two days before you can even figure out how to get the doors open.I like it, it makes a change from the 400 model where everything is automated and you feel a bit 'out of the loop'. In short, it looks great, sounds great and flies great, what more could you ask for?Piccies of one of mine awaiting a repaint for use in Air Hauler, notice the co-ordinates painted on the building, I did that specifically for this aircraft, to assist in aligning the INS:cls7471.jpgcls7472.jpgAl

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest Mendota

I appreciate the careful answer. I learned long ago not to judge a bird by gripes in forums, which is why I was soliciting some positive information. Doesn't bother me that I don't have to transfer fuel. Been there done that and now am more than happy to have a flight engineer do all that stuff while I get to sit in the left seat and act important.It just doesn't seem right not to have a classic 747 in my collection. If I want glass, I've got my big Airbusses and the PMDG MD-11. The older birds just seem to have more character than the glass cockpit jobs. Sometimes the irony of simulating sitting in front of a flat computer screen by... uh, sitting in front of a flat computer screen is just a little too Escher-ish for me.By the way, is the eye-candy surrounding the airplane part of the package?

All of the eye candy loaders and trucks etc is part of the package (except the land rover vehicle and the yellow baggage trucks, which I made, i.e the the two things nearest the cargo bay on my building). All the rest of it is in the airliner package and is accessed via the 2D 'Door control' menu in FS, which allows you to open all the aircraft doors and add the vehicles and stairs etc if you like. hard to make out, but if you look closely, you'll see the green CLS (developer) logo on the LD3 containers in the foreground.I'd certainly recommend this add-on if you want an older 747, it's probably the best one you can get.Al

Alan Bradbury

I've read the review. I've read the reviews of the review. I'm concerned about poor performance.I know it is not RFP 747. However, the idea of once again having a tape panel in front of me, and playing with early INS during long flights is tempting. I have enough complex add-ons. I'm suffering from manual fatigue. It might be fun to have something simpler. The details like air stairs look like the kind of toys that I enjoy.So do people who have it enjoy it? I'm willing to live with some issues if it runs reasonably well, looks good inside and out, and overall makes me feel like I've flying a classic 747, and doesn't have a high frustration factor.
Yea they fly pretty nice actually. I swapped out the FMC to an ISG FMC. And added a few xtra's like weather radar and what not.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Guest Mendota

Okay I bought. I am really impressed with the sounds. The INS is really nice, which is what I got it for; all my other airplanes have FMCs, so being different is what it's all about. External view is great, and I love all the activity around the airplane.Tons of liveries, even if I did have to pay extra. Loyalty points made the last pack free.Manual is weak, and not designed to be printed. This is my biggest pet peeve in Flight Simulator products. Was it Dreamfleet that had the grey print for their manuals? How brilliant was that? This one has a color 747 design at the bottom of every page. Between the 6 point typface here and the tiny buttons on my E-Jet panel, I expect to be blind soon. On the other hand, it doesn't run 95 pages. I figure I'll run through the tutorial tonight and see if that covers all the bases.I remember radio navigation. Nailing your intersections by VOR bearings alone. Good flight planning becomes more important with no FMC. FSNav was great for this, because you could get bearings. In FSX I've been usng the standard flight planner, which is a lot clunkier.Enough blather. I'm going to plan a flight and see what happens!

There are additional manuals for it, they can be downloaded from the CLS website. They feature a good tutorial on using the INS amongst other things.Al

Alan Bradbury

Guest Mendota

I totally take back the complaint about the manual. The new one available for download is very comprehensive and well-written, with many illustrations. It reminds me of a particularly good Avsim review... why, maybe that's because it's written by Angelique van Campen?The INS refusal to align had me frustrated for the better part of the evening. I have some fresh ideas this morning, and I'm armed with the vastly improved manual. P.S. Al, did you ever figure out why only only one of three INS align? I'm stalling on 6 even with rapid alignment.