Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Barfbag

AI planes, what's the limit?

Does anyone know how many AI planes you can stack per model? Can you have, say one FSPainter A320 and 10 different airline textures, or do you need to break it up into different models, with say 3 airlines at a time?Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Guest H_Kev55

I've got as many as 100 textures per model. Not sure if there is a limit, if there is, I've not reached it yet.I do know for a fact though, if you use ME, there is a limit on the number of AI that you can have loaded.I found this out the hard way.... :-)

WOW thats a lotta planes, what are your FPS like with that load? I don't use AI anymore, just causes my system to do the funky chicken and ceese upAK

Alaister Kay

Wow a 100textures! I'm using xp, so I think I'll be okay. I only run my AI at 40% and I only use Aardvark or FSPainter planes to keep frame rates good. So far so good.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Guest Captain Barfbag

The system is not loading all the textures, only the ones it needs to display what's around you. One of the tricks that Aardvark uses is the LOD (Level Of Detail) models that get simpler as you get further away. Fewer polygons, fewer textures => better frame rates.So, you can have any number of aircraft. If you're not using them in flightplans, they don't count against your frame rates. Those of us who spend altogether too much time on AI traffic generally have hundreds of planes, and we regionalize our traffic so flying in the Orient has very different callsigns than flying around Dallas.So, download away!