Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

christiaan

FS2009 on one computer possible?

I have the FS2004 installed on my 2nd HD (D), as it is not possible to install the 9.1 update, as I cannot use Cloud9 or DreamTeam, which requires this up-date, without removing the many add-ons I have installed over the last few years.Is it possible to install the FS2004 also on the "C "HD so that I can start from scratch , install the 9.1 update and then all the Aircraft, Airports (both free and payware ) Ground textures etc. Then remove the FS2004 from the "D" HD and re-install FS2004 on the "D" HD to it's present state as now, with the update before removing the FS 2004 from the "C" HD as I like to keep this for none- FS2004 files.I hope it is clear what my intentions are.

Guest belga1

Hello,

I have the FS2004 installed on my 2nd HD (D), as it is not possible to install the 9.1 update
??You fear the lost some addon's functionality ?Regards.bye.gif

Guest ChanRak

Hmm, why not do it this way and its easier. Get a couple of dual layer DVD's of 8.7gig and burn all your information and game into those DVD's and save it. Then double check that all of it is there and its readable in another drive. If this passes, then you can go to your drive and make some partitions if you want or make a clean format for that particular drive and make sure it is cable select so it can run from your main hard drive that has the microsoft program.Now what you do is do a fresh clean install of the FS 9 into your D drive. complete into the hard drive. Then the next thing you should do is do all the updates of FS9. Do not do any by-pass for CD or any others for the time being. Now once you have all your updates installed, then go to your DVD and install all your favorite aircraft and anything else such as scenery and do also your effects, sounds, textures and add on scenery and sceneries etc. Once this is all done, your ready to go and continue to play your game.Keep those DVD's as your backup. Should the hard drive fail, well you have already your main backup which is the DVD and no problem.Most people don't even think of backing up their computer stuff and files. Even me on a lot of occassions I forget to do it since it is a bit time consuming. However, I try to back up at least once every 3 months for new stuff that was added if I did and if I did not add anything then I don't need to back it up. If I add new zips, or utilities, or other data, then I make fresh backup copies. I keep at least two backups one of the latest and one behind it. The others I clean it up and re-use it again.I have had it happen before when the hard drive all of a sudden take a turn for the south and there goes your data without warning. It would be fine one evening and the next morning when you turn it on, all hell breaks loose and the redundancy errors begin. Then it gives you the warning to back up your data immediately which becomes very hard to do and your going to lose a lot in that process. Most hard drives last on average of 3-4 years before it says bye bye. By the way do not get Seagate at all. They are the worst ones made in the market now and they go zip in 30 days. Buy either a Hitachi or a Western Digital. So backing it up while the drive is good is your best bet. You will always have it no matter what and the puter itself always need maintenance every 3-4 years. I am glad I now got the DVD dual layer read and write plus and minus now for 8.7 gigs dual layer discs because man this saves me a ton of CD's and easier to keep around.For me I plan to build my own puter to get myself updated. I do this once every 10 years. Why because really if you take good care of your puter, the key is memory, and a good processor and bus speeds and graphics. That is all. The rest is academic. My CD-RW lasted 8.5 years, my DVD ROM is still going, my motherboard is 8.5 years old and my back up hard drive is now 5 years old and my hard drive is now 3 going on 4. So I do have an ancient system and even my memory rams is 8.5 years old. Wow. Oh so is my monitor!!!!! 8.5 years old. Man oh man.I know my system is old and it scares me, so that is why this year I am buying the upgrades bit by bit in building up my new system. Once I get everything within the next 6 months, then I will have a new puter, and then can do a major overhaul on my existing system here. So it will be decision time regarding this ancient one and hopefully I can find the parts to replace certain items sorely needed to keep it going. If I cannot do, then will build another one from scratch bit by bit.Anyway try out my method and burn your game data to a DVD and check it to be sure it can be read on another hard drive. If so, then format your drive and do the re-install and do the updates before installing anything else of 3rd party add ons. Then your in business.Good luckChanRak