Sign in to follow this  
JusJ

Build 394: Stratus Cloud Occurrence Ineffective

Hi there,I recently purchased ASA. Congratulations on a fantastic product. One feature that I find particularly useful in ASA, both from a visual perspective, and for the performance (FPS) benefits that I obtain from using it, is maximising the stratus cloud occurrence in the Cloud Options settings.Tonight I installed the SP1 Public Beta, and the stratus cloud occurrence slider no longer seems to have any effect (much to my considerable disappointment). Is this a known problem with SP1 (it does not appear in the pinned bug list)? If so, will it be addressed in the next update? If not, I fear I'll need to roll back to the original build of ASA and then suffer the risk of CTDs that it seemed to cause intermittently.Regards,Justin

Hi Justin,This is not been a reported problem and will not be fixed in the next update.Please tell us more about what you are seeing in regards to the stratus clouds. Are the weather conditions such, that you should be seeing that type of cloud?Give us what information you can and we'll be happy to look into this.Thanks,

Hi Jim, thanks for your reply.Okay, before installing the SP1 public beta I had build 316 (I think) installed. When I moved the Stratus Could Occurrence slider to 100% the clouds depicted in FS9 were almost entirely stratus (as I had expected).After the installation of SP1, and with the same setting (100% stratus cloud), I got primarily cumulus clouds in FS9. There were a few stratus around, but perhaps 5% of the clouds at best. I changed the Stratus Cloud Occurrence settings in ASA during the flight (to 50% to 0% and back to 100%), each time checking to see if there was a change in the quantity of stratus clouds depicted in FS9, but I could not see any perciptible change (ie, there were still about 95% cumulus clouds). I've now uninstalled and reinstalled B316, although haven't tested to see if the Stratus Cloud Occurrence slider is effective again. Prior to the SP1, that slider was consistently effective in changing the proportion of stratus cloud depicted. I like the 100% stratus cloud option because it helps with FPS in my sim (cumulous slow things down considerably) and I like the look better than the little cotton balls.Thanks,JustinJim, I should add that the stratus cloud occcurrence slider seemed to be effective (pre-SP1) no matter what the weather conditions. I didn't download new weather in between last using 316 (with 100% stratus effective) and installing SP1 (with 100% stratus apparently ineffective). I don't think that I was just getting lucky with the metars.

Hi Jim, I reverted to Build 316 last night and got my 100% stratus depiction back. It really seems to me that the Stratus Cloud Occurrence has been disabled in B394

Hi,Thanks for your work on this.I will report this and we'll see what we can do.Thanks,

Hi Jim,I see that a fix for this has made its way into the final beta. I have to thank you for your prompt and courteous response to this problem. Your great product and customer support is a credit to you (and the rest of the HiFi team).I will now go and test the final beta. Thanks again,Justin