Sign in to follow this  
Guest Njbb1995

Any Tips?

Guest Njbb1995

Hi Guys,I might be building a simpit based around This air craft, the CT4 Airtrainer. Do you guys have any tips or suggestions? more info can be found hereCheersNick (From New Zealand)

What kind of tips or suggestions are you looking for? In what areas?

Guest Njbb1995

just any how to's etc I am looking at making an exterior that looks close to the real thing as well

There is no how to. No book. No guide. I'd be willing to bet that most simpits are built after guys look at others and just start creating or emulating. Really not much choice in software is it? So you are locked into whatever parts are created for the software. You either build the rest yourself, or you buy real parts and make them work in the sim. There isn't really much I can tell you unless you want specifics about a certain throttle for that plane. I'd Google the plane and put simpit after it and see what you get.You are pretty much on your own unless you find another person building the exact same plane you are. Sorry. Not much help but there is no guide. Although if you insist on advice, I'd start by getting rid of the wife. Simpits and wives do not coexist in the same plane.Here is about as close to a guide as you will find:http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/

Guest Njbb1995

Wife? I dont have a wife. I dont even have a girl friend (at the moment). Maybe thats why I'm building a simpit

Guest Chairborne

Hi, Nick! Wow, as far as cockpits go: Hmmm...since I fly so many different aircraft on FS, I had to settle for a generic cockpit setup. But it's a good one...

PIC_0697.jpg

PIC_0698.jpgPIC_0699.jpg

All gear is Saitek: the yoke was undermounted for room and accurate placement, using small L-brackets and very short wood screws. It's solid. The throttle quadrant is placed to the far right and a Switch Panel inserted between the yoke and throttle for accuracy. With the advent of rudder pedals, I made a platform to elevate them correctly in relation to the seat, which is from what you in AUS/NZ call a Nissan EXA (we call it a Pulsar here). The seating position is very comfortable and allows very long flights. The controls are within easy, comfortable reach and feel, and the rudder pedal toes have been tilted back to allow for a better contact angle with the feet that let them stay relaxed without flexing.Keep us up to speed on yours!

That is one nice set-up! About what I'd like to shoot for for myself, should the money needed fall into place. :( I have a small computer desk similar to yours, so I can now see what I'd need to do and how to place things for a totally dedicated FS computer sim. Terrific work. Thanks for sharing - hope you don't mind if I borrow and build on the plan / layout? I'd like to set up for a twin engine (I love the Seneca and ATR 72).Many thanks for sharing this!Cheers,

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest Chairborne
That is one nice set-up! About what I'd like to shoot for for myself, should the money needed fall into place. :( I have a small computer desk similar to yours, so I can now see what I'd need to do and how to place things for a totally dedicated FS computer sim. Terrific work. Thanks for sharing - hope you don't mind if I borrow and build on the plan / layout? I'd like to set up for a twin engine (I love the Seneca and ATR 72).Many thanks for sharing this!Cheers,
I don't know if you were referring to another person or myself, but as far as my setup goes, it's a generic 'ghetto' setup...but it's comfy. A lot of people criticise my single-monitor layout...I only wish I was so rich! LOLWhat upsets me is that the new Saitek Instrument Panel can't be configured to display the GPS. Its layout would be perfect for the job! I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it could do GPS duty...

I don't know what you are building now but you should check out my website at SimSamurai.net I am also about to release some single seat sim plans.Regards, Jeff

Guest TOMHUNTER

Hi, this is my first attempt at writing to a forum, so forgive any screw ups!! I have built a Baron B58 Sim from lots of bits and pieces and some pretty neat new and used hardware and new software.

Hi Guys,I might be building a simpit based around This air craft, the CT4 Airtrainer. Do you guys have any tips or suggestions? more info can be found hereCheersNick (From New Zealand)
Nick- there are two fairly different strategies in developing Sim Pits.One attempts to build/buy/create hardware that replicates a real world airplane panel and controls. This tactic, of course, limits you to one aircraft type only.The alternate tactic is to concentrate on creating a visual system that replicates the view outside a real airplane- but relies primarily on simulated panels on the screens.My choice is the second since it avoids the very large cost and time investment in obtaining or making panel/cockpit hardware. It also means you can fly any FS default or addon airplane of your choice- at any time. If you opt to create a panel & c'pit hardware, you are committing to one airplane type for years to come. And then there is the question of space for a simpit. (Mine is in the master bedroom- she got the den for a sewing room!)I would also argue that for most practical purposes in simming, realistic VIEW presentation provides more than 50% of the satisfaction and enjoyment of Flight Sim. Yes, real world pilots will disagree - they desire the fidelity/accuracy of an actual panel replica. With the scenery now available for both FS9 & FSX, the case for view fidelity becomes very persuasive. Low and slow is beautiful!Here is a pic to illustrate.Alex Reid