Sign in to follow this  
Hessel_Oosten

Chicago Flight-Simmers, please read

Hi Chicago (KORD) Simmers,This Dutch Flight-simmer is going to Chicago next week for a congress, but can hopefully / probably spent an afternoon or evening to places of interest for simmers.Please advise me about interesting "simmers places" and how reach them. Where is a big computer store ? Are there spotters places at O'Hare ?Oh, I know, Merill C. Meighs is one of them .....Hessel Oosten, The Netherlands.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hessel,This isn't really a simming place, but I'd recommend a visit to the Museum of Science and Industry. They have a decent sized aviation section with a 727 that you can go in. You can visit the cockpit, and the floors are clear so you can look down into the gear bays, emergency door, etc. They also have computer stuff and basic flight simulation stuff to try out. Sometimes, there's also a United Airlines pilot there to answer questions you may have. I go there regularly and it's a great museum; one of the best in the country.Have fun,MarcMarc Gibsonhttp://www.freewebs.com/flightsimcfi/http://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Hi Marc,Thanks for the suggestions. One question: Is there an ideal spotting place at O'Hare ?Hessel

Inside the airport, no: we don't really have any specific place for spotting. I know there are some areas around the airport property (you're getting into Rosemont and Elk Grove Village, Norridge, and Chicago) that are good, but it depends on what rwy they're using. I've never been just spotting, but others have told me if you just sit really close to the perimeter the police may become a pain. Unfortunately though, they don't have a designated spotting area. One alternative: An airport called Palwaukee, in the town of Prospect Heights (probably about 10-15 miles north of Ohare) has a restaurant where you can watch planes over lunch or dinner called the 94th Aero Squadron. The food's decent and the view is good since there's lots of corporate jets and GA's.Have fun,MarcMarc Gibsonhttp://www.freewebs.com/flightsimcfi/http://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Welcome to the windy city! Around Ohare there are a few goo spots to watch from. There is a cargo facility on Irving Park Road where you shouldn't get hasseled to much and sits almost under the approach to RWY 04R. It is situated on the southwest side of the airport, but not on airport grounds. If you are taking a taxi (watch out) tell the driver to head for the post office facility and turn LEFT at the traffic light. Another great spot is the parking lot of the Allstate Arena. The approach to 22R goes right over the stadium there and is almost always in use. Just tell the driver to take you to the Allstate Arena. I have to agree that the Musuem of Science and Industry is a MUST SEE. If you go to the Adler Planetarium, you can see just what a nice job Mayor Daley did at destroying Meigs Field. The planetarium is on Meigs property! As for a big computer store, CDW is where you want to go. You'll have to look that up yourself though. I know there is a huge one about five miles north of Palwaukee airport in Mundelien I think. The address would be on Milwaukee Avenue. Also, at O'hare, there is a really nice little shop that sells all sorts of airplane souveniers and models, It is called ORD Chicago and is located in or next to the Hilton hotel right there at the airport. Hope this helps and have fun! Todd

Driving along I-294 through Rosemont gives a good view when planes are landing from the east. Midway has great spotting sights. At the southeast corner of the field there is an intersection where the jets fly 100 feet over head on short final. There is also a road running along the west side the field.