Sign in to follow this  
january

Bella Coola, British Columbia

Try flying into CYBD - Bella Coola in the British Columbia Coast Mountains. Finding the airport is one thing- getting safely down is another!Good luck!!!!!!!Alex Reid

Wow, that is deep BC. Do you have scenery coverage for it or is it the stock airport?Mark

Wow, that is deep BC. Do you have scenery coverage for it or is it the stock airport?Mark
-----------------------Mark- I use FS9 default scenery plus Ultimate Terrain Can/AK. Should a pilot wish to fly east after takeoff from CYBD Bella Coola, he should be prepared to climb to 10,000' very quickly- unless he anticipates spending eternity in the Monarch Icefield! (Perhaps meeting a Yeti or Abominable Snowman?) I'm not sure you could descend rapidly enough on an approach from the east for a straight-in: I think you probably have to descend to sea level, turn 180

Nice, Twin Otter eh? OK, Gonna try my RGII with it. BTW, there are some great pizza places in Gastown in case you get hungry...Mark

Guest Zevious Zoquis

Holger Sandmann did some scenery for the Bella Coola area if I'm not mistaken. I seem to recall it was a nice upgrade over the defualt scenery...

Nice, Twin Otter eh? OK, Gonna try my RGII with it. BTW, there are some great pizza places in Gastown in case you get hungry...Mark
--------------------No- It's DreamFleet Beech Baron 58. The Sandel EHSI with moving map plus the Garmin GNS 530 GPS, both of which come with this bird, makes it ideal for this type of flying. And the triple views make manouevering in tight spots so much easier AND realistic.(Can't beat a 45"/145

You know, I realized that it was a baron about 20 minutes after I posted. Hey, have you flown the BC fjord to CYSE? Betcha have...Mark

You know, I realized that it was a baron about 20 minutes after I posted. Hey, have you flown the BC fjord to CYSE? Betcha have...Mark
---------------------------Mark- As you queried- plus a favourite! (The "fjord" is Howe Sound- many happy memories of cruising up that way on my 32' sailboat. Now at 77, virtual piloting is a bit easier on tired bones!!) Alex ReidLining up CYSE-Squamish airport.Decending thru' Seton Lake canyon to Lillooet CAR3- the airport can just be seen acoss the valley. This is Cariboo Country!

Nice. You've been around the block so I'm sure you've seen these...but just in case you haven't...Squamish CYSEhttp://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=125332Canada Short Legs 2...FS8http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=56438I would've posted the AVSIM links but Tom's still working on it :)Mark
--------------------Thanks for the heads up- I'll have a peek when AVSIM Lib is restored.Apart from Ultimate Terrain, CYYJ/Victoria (home base!) is the only add on scenery I've bothered with. I've preferred to exploit multi monitor capability with three synchronized views and thereby triple the scenery detail over a more lifelike 145

Ahhh, 3 monitors...lucky you. I haven't indulged myself as of yet. Is it true that you have to run in the virtual cockpit when you run 3? I've got an issue though. I really like the 2d panel, it's feels more like full emersion in the sim. Ironically, the 2d cockpit is probably one of the most unreal features. What hardware are you running to split the signal...Matrox?Mark

Ahhh, 3 monitors...lucky you. I haven't indulged myself as of yet. Is it true that you have to run in the virtual cockpit when you run 3? I've got an issue though. I really like the 2d panel, it's feels more like full emersion in the sim. Ironically, the 2d cockpit is probably one of the most unreal features. What hardware are you running to split the signal...Matrox?Mark
---------------------Mark- I run only 2D panels + popups in XP Windowed mode. Virtual panels and/or Full Screen simply doesn't work on my system-Which is a 6 year old AMD XP2200 1.8 Ghz CPU, 2GB Ram & 2 GeForce FX5200 video cards- AGP & PCI. Monitors are a 9 yr old 19" CRT, a 3 yr old 17" Acer LCD and a 17" IBM LCD which I recently picked up used for $75 ! I'm waiting for an invitation to display it all at the Smithsonian museum!The three views- LFwd,Fwd,RFwd are blended/synched into one image by adjusting the outer view angles in Panel Config.I don't use TH2Go which produces only View Fwd stretched across 3 monitors. I believe it is primarily intended for use with virtual panels.One of the remarkable things here is that the three views are time shared by the single CPU. Consequently 2 of the views are always static- in essence they have an infinitely high frame rate- while the third being updated, has an FPS rate about 1/2 of single monitor rate. The combined result, insofar as your brain is concerned, is that smoothness/fluidity of the blended three views, is just about the same as with a single view!!So what's holding you back???Alex Reid

Wow, that's really old school and very cool. I remember when all of the flat panels came out and got my first one. For the longest time I wanted to use my Viewsonic 20, (that weighed 60 pounds), because of the smoothness and blending of the contours. I still don't think that any flat panels can capture the gradient smoothing of a CRT, although, they don't cause any cancer that we know of yet.I think that Master Seev would appreciate your system as he looks down from above...http://seev.rwy12.com/mycockpit.html. Oh, the thing holding me back is my wife Linda. She says I spend way to much time flying and not enough time taking her out dinner and to see chick flicks :)Mark

Wow, that's really old school and very cool. I remember when all of the flat panels came out and got my first one. For the longest time I wanted to use my Viewsonic 20, (that weighed 60 pounds), because of the smoothness and blending of the contours. I still don't think that any flat panels can capture the gradient smoothing of a CRT, although, they don't cause any cancer that we know of yet.I think that Master Seev would appreciate your system as he looks down from above...http://seev.rwy12.com/mycockpit.html. Oh, the thing holding me back is my wife Linda. She says I spend way to much time flying and not enough time taking her out dinner and to see chick flicks :)Mark
I was so pleased to see you mention "Master Seev" - I had the great fortune to work with him on a couple of projects. Many of today's simmers do not realize the shoulders of so many, like Seev, that we stand on now. His pioneering work with RWY12 opened the door to allowing the average simmer to be able to dabble in scenery enhancement - just to mention one of his many contributions to our hobby/addiction.A real gentleman in the very best sense of the word. Seev Kahn - may he rest in peace.

I'm a big fan of Seev...the work he's done is pretty incredible. Hey, I've seen your name mentioned a bunch of places to Mr. Opa!Mark