Sign in to follow this  
yellow5

Microsoft, I don't think the avid flight simmer cares about the "History of flight"

Don't get me wrong here, but why is Microsoft spending so much time on all these old aircraft and the history of flight? As a avid flight simmer, I fly all the time using FS2002 and would like to thank Microsoft for their outstanding FS2002 product. I fly IFR about 90% of the time and practice IFR approaches with FS2002, but can't help wonder how you (the avid Flight Simmer) really feels about the next version of flight simulator?Myself, yes I'll buy FS2004 as soon as it's out, but not for all these old aircraft that Microsoft is promoting...... I'm looking forward to the new ATC options/functions, and all the other functions/options that FS2002 didn't offer...My question to all avid flight simmers....What would you like to see in FS2004? Wright brothers glider and the Spirit of St. Louis?or Airbuses and Boeing aircraft with FMC'S?I'd prefer FMC's and more modern aircraft rather then history..I'd like to here from all you Avid Flight simmers...

Correct me here if I'm out to lunch, but what does the true Flight simmer really want?Flying around in some glider? or flying VFR or IFR in today's environment?

Guest Id Rather Be Flying

In short:The ability to fly ANY TYPE of Aircraft in ANY condition in ANY place around the real world!That sums it up for me!BTW: There IS SNOW on the edge of the runways!!!!http://www.fsmagazine.nl/albums/album48/aaa jpg (Replace the space between aaa and jpg with a . for the image)

Does that mean in your opinion someone who likes to fly an old Beaver through the Alskan Bush is less of a true simmer than one who flies IFR in the big iron?MSFS is an all-round sim for all tastes. Developing a modern jet airliner takes up a lot of time and will take away from the development of other features. Whatever your tastes in aircraft, the improvements in the weather and ATC engines will benefit everyone, while an Airbus with fully functional FMGC will only appeal to a small minority. And this minority is very well catered for by developers such as PSS, PMDG, the PIC 767 team etc.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

So I take it that you'll be flying the wright brothers glider in FS2004..Thats fare...And no, I enjoy flying the beaver in Alaska, I just don't think most flight simmers care to fly gliders or 1930 aircraft....

>How many people fly the glider in FS2002?

I'm enjoying looking at at all the new screen shots of FS2004, but frankly, airport taxi signs appeal more to me then a glider...>MSFS is an all-round sim for all tastesAll tastes? of the 1930's? How about some 1990's?

Guest JDiaz

I personally normally fly Boeing planes, my AA fleet. I mostly use the program for IFR flying, its ATC, weather engine, etc. But I believe, to each his/her cup of tea. The versitility of the program allows for someone to fly whatever it is they personally like so if someone likes a B777 or a Ford Tri Motor they can choose what they like, I personally like the idea of MS paying tribute to the history of flight, without any of those aircraft we wouldn't have the planes we have today...does that mean I'll spend most of my time flying the DC-3? No but I'm sure someone else will and so in the end it doesn't really matter. I like the idea and I can't wait for FS2004...Jason

Again, I'm not bashing Microsoft, because FS2002 is just an outstanding simulator....I'm disappointed I guess, that Microsoft's FS2004 aircraft are a step backwards....

The variety of options that Flight Sim offers means that there are plenty of simmers who will enjoy the historical aspect of the new aircraft provided in the same way that there are plenty of simmers who fly nothing but helicopters.It's all down to personal preference. I'm unlikely to fly any of the historical aircraft more than once because they don't appeal to me but obviously they will to others.As to why Microsoft are concentrating on it for this release, I'd have thought that was blindingly obvious. This is the centenary of flight. I'd have found it more extraordinary if they'd concentrated on anything else.

Guest Timbo

Last time I checked the Wright Brothers Flyer had engines so I don't know why you keep calling it a glider.. :-hmmm You should take a look at sites like the Golden Eagles Squadron, The Old Hangar, or the Golden Age forum at Flightsimnetwork. These people, including me, have a deep interest and passion for Golden Age aircraft. I'll be blunt, the AVSIM crowd on a whole is more into flying the latest digital cockpits with fly by wire, FMCs, and all the bells and whistles, but many people outside of AVSIM enjoy flying the classics. So yes, I and many others will be flying the Wright Flyer, Ford Tri-motor, Spirit of St. Louis, and all the other historic aircraft. Gosta said it the best, having an interest in the classic, simpler aircraft doesn't make you any less of a simmer than the people who fly heavy metal.[table][tr][td rowspan=2]http://timbo87.home.attbi.com/sig/valiant.gif[/td][td]

Tim Pinkawa

[/td][tr][td]

Alpha Sims Texture Artist/Panel Designer

Tims FS Studio]

[/td][/tr][/table

I'll certainly try it out :). Generally I see FS as a platform on which to run my add-on planes. But if you put yourself in MS's shoes, it would be quite easy to see the reasons why they don't include highly detailed airliners. A lot of people buy the program and run it out of the box, with no add-ons. They are likely to appreciate a wide variety of aircraft. Then, as I mentioned before, there's the variety of tastes - my father-in-law, for example, is really looking forward to all those old planes. Then there's the development time - look at how long it took teams like the PIC team, RFP, PPMDG etc. to design their aircraft. Even if they were employed full-time and had the same staffing level as the MSFS team, the time-saving would be offset by the fact that they'd also have to design a whole sim to go with the aircraft. I'd rather see all that time spent on improving weather, scenery, ATC etc. and spend an extra 20 bucks for a good add-on airliner.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

I haven't read the other replies, but I think the short answer is they simply wish to capture the imagination of anyone who enjoys flight. I think every generation of FS tries to reach out to a new segment of the market, and I see this version as reaching for those who loved these classics. We're diehards--we know how to find our heavy metal when we want to handle a FMC or an Airbus. But I picture this release as capturing the imagination of someone like my father was--someone who was cradled into the golden age of aviation in a DC-3, or even my Mom, who first flew on a Cub. Even my first flight was on a classic by today's standard's--a PSA Electra... I fly Bill Lyon's Jenny often, not as often as I fly the modern aircraft--but heck--I won't complain about any of these classics, especially after checking out some of the videos linked to by Avsim...-John

"I'll be blunt, the AVSIM crowd on a whole is more into flying the latest digital cockpits with fly by wire, FMCs, and all the bells and whistles, but many people outside of AVSIM enjoy flying the classics."Huh? Have you checked the bush forums lately? Or any of the other forums on AVSIM outside this one? Have you checked the demographics poll? That's not an AVSIM phenom... it is over 10,000 of your fellow flight simmers expressing their interests, and they don't just visit AVSIM. Check it out at:www.avsim.com/nabopoll/result.php?surv=3