Sign in to follow this  
GE90110B

Suggestions For Hardware Upgrades

Hi All,My current system is a Gateway DX4200-UB001A. System specs are as follows:CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9550 (2.2 GHz)RAM: 6GB (2GB x2+1GB x2) DDR2 667Hard Drive: 640 GB (7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA II)Graphics: ATI Radeon 3450 (One on the motherboard+One on a PCI Express Card)Chipset: AMD 780GOS: Vista Home Premium 64-bit Any suggestions to increase framerates for FSX, depending on the aircraft I get about 8-15FPS for Project Opensky Aircraft + LDS767, and 20-30FPS for Project Airbus. These go down while on the ground by 2 to 5FPS for POSKY+LDS, while they go down about 5-10FPS for pairbus. Also will switch to Windows 7 after it launches. Any suggestions for upgrades to bring those framerates up a bit, or I am already pretty much maxed out?Thanks, GE90110B

hey, i would say your graphics card is holding you back, to get higher frames you will probably want a new graphics card. but on the other side your processor has a fairly slow clock speed, so that might be a slight bottleneck in itself, Philip

hey, i would say your graphics card is holding you back, to get higher frames you will probably want a new graphics card. but on the other side your processor has a fairly slow clock speed, so that might be a slight bottleneck in itself, Philip
Do you think I should get a ATI 4850, ATI 4870, 4890?

Your video card is most certainly holding you back, but that first generation Phenom isn't doing you any favors either... The Phenom II is vastly superior and quite cheap now. A top model Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition is only $215 on Newegg right now. The 965 should be out in another month or two as well.

Your video card is most certainly holding you back, but that first generation Phenom isn't doing you any favors either... The Phenom II is vastly superior and quite cheap now. A top model Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition is only $215 on Newegg right now. The 965 should be out in another month or two as well.
Best processor I can upgrade to is the Phenom II X4 940, as my motherboard is a AM2+ socket, not AM3. Also I am pretty sure I am going to upgrade graphics, to a ATI 4870 with 2GB GDDR5. Sounds like a lot but I have been running out of ram sometimes as the graphics uses a gig of the DRAM. I my upgrade processors to the 940, but I was going to get the new Logitech G940, so I think I will hold off on the processor. Also you seem to know a lot about systems so if I did change CPU's would it be straight forward, or would I also need to update BIOS, and other stuff?-Thanks, GE90110B

Best processor I can upgrade to is the Phenom II X4 940, as my motherboard is a AM2+ socket, not AM3. Also I am pretty sure I am going to upgrade graphics, to a ATI 4870 with 2GB GDDR5. Sounds like a lot but I have been running out of ram sometimes as the graphics uses a gig of the DRAM. I my upgrade processors to the 940, but I was going to get the new Logitech G940, so I think I will hold off on the processor. Also you seem to know a lot about systems so if I did change CPU's would it be straight forward, or would I also need to update BIOS, and other stuff?-Thanks, GE90110B
AM3 chips can run perfectly fine on AM2/AM2+ sockets. All you need is a BIOS update. It is AM3 boards that do not accept AM2/AM2+ chips.

AM3 chips can run perfectly fine on AM2/AM2+ sockets. All you need is a BIOS update. It is AM3 boards that do not accept AM2/AM2+ chips.
Sorry to bug you, but where do you get this BIOS update as it certainly is not on the Gateway website. Thanks, GE90110B

Sorry to bug you, but where do you get this BIOS update as it certainly is not on the Gateway website. Thanks, GE90110B
Sorry,missed the part about you having a pre-built system. It is unlikely that a BIOS update will be available but using the CPUZ utility you may be able to find out who manufactured your motherboard for Gateway and obtain a BIOS update from their site.