Sign in to follow this  
twisted8

2D forward Left/Right view in FSX

Is there a way to have a 2D Forward Left or Right view in FSX? This is for a multi-monitor setup. If i use the hatswitch it goes into the 3D view, but I don't really want to see the cockpit, just the outside view. I know you can pan in virtual cockpit 3D mode. But how can I pan in a 2D view with no panels or cockpit on the screen? just the outside view. Thanks

I read about this procedure somewhere, maybe here.While in 2d view, press W key to make the round gauges visible.Then press Shift+8 top bring up pop-up panel.Press A.Press Shift+A.I can't explain why it works but it does for me to remove the 3d inside views when I want to see outside with no panels visible. Another one of those great features brought to us by MS. Now sure why MS didn't fix this. Your other option would be a Matrox Triple Head 2 Go.

Is there a way to have a 2D Forward Left or Right view in FSX? This is for a multi-monitor setup. If i use the hatswitch it goes into the 3D view, but I don't really want to see the cockpit, just the outside view. I know you can pan in virtual cockpit 3D mode. But how can I pan in a 2D view with no panels or cockpit on the screen? just the outside view. Thanks
In FS9- perhaps same in FSX?: [ (square left bracket) opens a new small view on top of main view. Undock it, then drag to secondary monitor and resize as desired.To set appropriate view- click on the new view to set focus, then (with num lock ON) key "Shift+ Num KB 7 or 9". This will set and lock Views Left or Right Forward.If you go into Assignments- substitute "Control" for "Shift". This will set and lock the view by simply hitting num KB 7 or 9.It is also possible to shift the outer views a few degrees to left or right to compensate for the exact width of the bezels separating the views. This is done in Panel Config for FS9 and I'm told in the FSX Camera settings. When you get it right, the views blend together into one combined image as far as your eyes/brain are concerned. I recommend against panning to adjust a view- not very accurate and as you say it's not 2D.Hope I haven't confused.Alex Reid

I read about this procedure somewhere, maybe here.While in 2d view, press W key to make the round gauges visible.Then press Shift+8 top bring up pop-up panel.Press A.Press Shift+A.
strangely this works but how can I have the forward-left/right view stay on? if i let go of the hatswitch it goes back to front view.Thanks!
In FS9- perhaps same in FSX?: [ (square left bracket) opens a new small view on top of main view. Undock it, then drag to secondary monitor and resize as desired.To set appropriate view- click on the new view to set focus, then (with num lock ON) key "Shift+ Num KB 7 or 9". This will set and lock Views Left or Right Forward.If you go into Assignments- substitute "Control" for "Shift". This will set and lock the view by simply hitting num KB 7 or 9.It is also possible to shift the outer views a few degrees to left or right to compensate for the exact width of the bezels separating the views. This is done in Panel Config for FS9 and I'm told in the FSX Camera settings. When you get it right, the views blend together into one combined image as far as your eyes/brain are concerned. I recommend against panning to adjust a view- not very accurate and as you say it's not 2D.Hope I haven't confused.Alex Reid
Thanks for the answer, looks like doesn't work so good in FSX, when I'm a 2D view Shift+ Num KB 7 or 9 doesn't do anything. Maybe I'm missing something. I'll have mess with it more.Thanks!

thanks, both post pointed in me in the right direction.To lock the view, I press 7 (or 9) then press shift, then let go of 7 and then let go of shift and the view stays on.