Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brent Hebert

Downloadeing from AVSIM Library

Guest Brent Hebert

I've posted this in the Library forum, but nobody seems to know the answer, so I'll try it here.There seems to be an aparent conflict with my firewall and being able to download from the library. When I try to download from library.avsim.net using my firewall, it just hangs there. If I disable the firewall, it downloads with no problems.I am using Zone Alarm 3.7.143.I've configured my firewall to accept 'library.avsim.net' as a trusted zone, but it still hangs.Does anybody out there know how to configure Zone Alarm to be able to download from the library?Any ideas? Brent HebertMEMBERhttp://www.cox-internet.com/bhebert/aopa.jpg

Guest NetBoyz

If you're using a download manager, try setting it to use Passive mode. db

I'm not using a firewall and I can't download either. What I've done is download the files at work and email them to myself. I'm in the IT department so it's not a problem... No one seems to have an answer for this problem, it just started this past weekend. I wish disableing a firewall would solve my problem at home but I don't have one up. The funny thing about this problem is there is a firewall in place at my job and I can download from there with no problems...Avsim whatever you guys have done in the past week or so is causeing problems. I hope you look into this...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest Matt Johnson

We haven't changed a thing, nor have our upstream providers.XP users might want to investigate the IE6 hotfix 818529 which came out recently and perhaps try uninstalling it; there have been isolated reports that 818529 and XP do not seem to get on well with each other and may be causing the problems you are seeing.I am running Windows 2000 with the 818529 fix and not seeing any problems, but your mileage may vary.--M

Guest Brent Hebert

Matt,I've checked my Add/Remove Programs list and 818529 is not listed, so I can assume that it is not installed.The problem is the firewall, not the browser. I can download with it shut off. It is trying to block a receiving packet from your IP. I have it configured to accept it as a trusted site. Brent HebertMEMBERhttp://www.cox-internet.com/bhebert/aopa.jpg

Guest Matt Johnson

Hm... make sure you are either accepting or actively refusing ident (113/tcp) connections. I'm pretty sure I turned that off, but it would cause problems similar to what you are seeing.If when you see this post (before 2200Z), you could try downloading something, that would be helpful.Thanks,--M

Guest Matt Johnson

You're dropping my ftp-data packets on the floor.Tell your firewall to accept incoming connections from 205.252.89.42 port 20.--M

Guest Matt Johnson

In which case, it may be the case that your firewall software is lying to you. (Oops.)I logged the packets when you did the test connections. Our FTP server sent SYN to the port your FTP client arranged, but we never got an ACK back and so never sent any data. Try adding an explicit rule (despite 205.252.89.42 being "trusted") for that source (205.252.89.42 tcp/20).

Guest Brent Hebert

I tried to download and watched for the log to pop up. I set it to Add Zone, Trusted with the IP that showed up on the screen. Reloaded library and tried to download. It did the same thing and said that it was blocking uncoming.Then I hand entered the rule and still had the same result.Brent HebertMEMBERhttp://www.cox-internet.com/bhebert/aopa.jpg

Guest Brent Hebert

OK Matt,Here's the deal.I had both Internet Zone Security and the Trusted Zone Security set to High. By lowering the Trusted Zone to Med. it then accepts packets from your IP and download proceeds, while remaining secure from hackers, I HOPE! Brent HebertMEMBERhttp://www.cox-internet.com/bhebert/aopa.jpg