Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ps762

Advice for a nervous flier who would like to enjoy flying fear free(!)

Hello(!),Just to say merci for the replies etc. I took my second lesson which was still pretty scary for me but then I came flying to Norway with Ryanair and I felt much better in cruise. The problem for me is falling from a great height (like an in flight breakup). Once I understood that in flight breakups do happen and that there is a possibility that I'll fall from a great height but that it's a very small possibility I chilled out quite a bit (hopefully!). The aircraft aren't 100 percent safe and occasionally they do fall from the sky but it's very rarely so I guess I can chill out.Have another flight in a Piper Warrior today so hopefully I'll keep doing better with it.Many thanks,Pierre.
It's so rare, there's a million other ways you're a million times more likely to die doing......than having an airplane break apart.I think you're more likely to die by cleaning your house and breathing the wrong fume than dieing of an airplane that falls from the sky.That said, Keep flying......It will remove your fear. I always used to feel very "Uncomfortable" in airliners for the same reason as you, i wouldn't call it so much as a heavy fear......but definitely a feeling of discomfort. that feeling stayed with me untill about 10-20 hours into my PPL. Becoming at that heigh became routine, and something I no longer feared after a bit of time getting used to it. *I love airplanes anyways, so this helped me get past my discomforts*.as of Today, I have about 42 hours in the 172SP.......finished my first flight in the Archer yesterday, The Instructor said everything looked good so next flight we'll run through the Emergency procedures, do some more maneuvers, and I'll get put on the insurance and have the keys to both the archer, And the 172 :( It feels good to move along the chain in aviation hahah. can't wait to start my Instrument Rating.Keep at it, there's nothing more free than to enjoy the privelage of Flight.