Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlakeWilliams

First Thoughts on the PMDG J41

Well, wow.Really the only way to describe the first look at this new product. I have to admit I have been busy all day with wedding planning and classes, so I didn't get a chance to read through everything. So, I did what I usually do when I buy a new PMDG product: wing it. My first thoughts honestly were that this bird is fps HUNGRY. After I brought my sliders down and chose normal gauges in the config editor, I get around 20 fps. Now, I know everyone is asking " what are you running ". To be honest once again, not the best rig. Dual 2.8, 4 gigs of RAM and a 256 ATI card, but still. This is hands down the most amazing VC built to date yet for any FS platform. I think that before I upgrade my rig, Ill just set every slider to nothing and fly this bird pure IFR, because I don't need to look at anything else than the VC. Honestly, WOW. Sounds are once again the best set made for FS. I really can't wait to dive into this thing - I just thought people would like a comment on performance. With my rig, which I admit is not great - but not horrible, it is a little sluggish. I can only imagine the smiles on the faces of the guys running i7's with the 285's!!Back to flying!

FWIW...my first impressions were...I was relieved that the J41 runs so smooth. After seeing the Hi-Res VC screenshots, I figured there had to be a heavy price to pay. I'm happy to report, that on my middle-of-the-road rig, things are quite smooth.The attention to detail is outstanding. I've come to expect the best from PMDG and they never disappoint. Even the manuals are outstanding - heck, they are worth the price of the whole package. And the package is truly a bargain.I'll bet you folks at PMDG and you beta testers have wanted to get the J41 out for all of us to enjoy, as bad as we've wanted to get our hands on it. You probably figured we'd be blown away once we could see it for ourselves.Well I for one am. Many kudos to the team!!! Spectacular work!!!Noel WBrisbaneE6850@3.8 / 8800GTX + 9600GT / 4Gb / TH2go + TIR4 / Vista 64 /FSX SP2