Sign in to follow this  
Guest rdg

Gaming KeyBoards

Guest rdg

Hi,Just curious, as my son had one of these and left it after he moved, and does not need it any more. Wasnt sure if, with their programmable capabilites, if anyone found a good use for them in FS.RegardsBob G

Guest scottmm73

I've seen numerous setups of home cockpits using multiple keyboards, each having their own placard. I've always wanted to know how that was done myself. You would think Windows/FSX would be confused with multiple keyboards.

Guest rdg

Never heard of using more than one keyboard. These keyboards have multiple modes and an lcd screen, but not sure if that would provide any value. I know with FSUIPC you can do quite a bit, including macros and such. I was just curious if anyone was using one and how they were using it. I am using Windows 7 so not even sure if there is a compatible driver for it yet. If there was something I could do that provided value, I might give it a try.Bob

KB's with macro settings do nothing for me. However I recently bought the Saitek Eclipse II for its back lighting capabilities.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16823175001

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have 2 Logitech G15s - one new (6 function keys) and one old (18 function keys). They are decent keyboards in their own right, and so I consider the extra cost for having the extra function keys a valid trade off. Basically, you can use the keyboards in 1 of two ways - map an individual key to a function key, or program a macro into a function key.An example is when I want to disconnect autopilot and autothrottle at the same time. I create a little macro that will do this with one key, rather than having to hunt around and use two - it seems trivial, but you get the idea. I would say that in FSX, I probably don't do this a whole lot since I tend to fly from the VC nowadays, so sometimes it is easier to just click on stuff.Another example might be if you wanted to quickly switch from GPS to NAV mode, and at the same time decrease your altitude by 2000 feet and set the autopilot to approach mode... well, these keyboards can do that. I guess that having everything automated like that kind of defeats the purpose of playing FSX - not much fun.I also have a Logitech G13, which cost me only slightly less than the G15. The G13 is a palm-sized keyboard with a little joystick (mapped to keys - not an actual joystick) as well as the standard LCD screen. It comes with an extra 22 function keys.Other games might benefit from this more - World of Warcraft for example, since it is heavy on macros. Maybe FSX could benefit from those few extra keys, but really, I could live wiothout it.- Martin

Guest rdg

Hi,Hey thanks guys! This gives me some ideas. The xkey stuff is pretty cool.Thanks Again!Bob