Sign in to follow this  

crab angle formula

Is there a formula or equation or somethin to figure out how many degrees to fly into the wind when crabbing for landing?Thanx guys,Geoff

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If you had asked about in flight, yes, there is. Right triangle trig. For landing, not that I know of. Its simply a feel thing, although I guess you could pull out your pencil and paper on short final to do the same calculations as in flight.

>Is there a formula or equation or somethin to figure out how>many degrees to fly into the wind when crabbing for landing?:-bangThere is but who would use such a thing ? The practicality of such a formula is nil. Not only winds tend to change with altitude but who would want to perform calculations during a landing and maybe loose control of the aircraft ? You crab as much as is required to stay on course for landing. You ought to be able to do it "manually" or your pilot's skills are simply inadequate.Michael J.

For solving wind correction problems for inflight navigation you should get an E6-B flight computer, either the mechanical whiz wheel type or the electronic version.For a flight computer that will reside on your hardrive and be available for flight simulation purposes, try the Virtual E6-B available here:http://www.aog-spares.com/modules.php?name..._op=MostPopularOnce equipped, you can do a Google search for "Wind Correction Angle(s)" and learn all about the dynamics involved.A good starting place is here:http://www.auf.asn.au/navigation/wind.htmlFor wind correction on final approach, you must do everything necessary to cause the aircraft to arrive over the center of the runway and touchdown with little or no sideways drift.There are plenty of resources available on crosswind landing techniques, none of them will refer you to anything more scientific than using your physical senses to align the aircaft for landing. Study these techniques until you are thoroughly familiar with them and then practice them in the sim until crosswind landings are second nature to you and you automatically do what is necessary to accomplish your goal of a touchdown near the runway center with no drift.Remember, you're flying the aircraft, not the other way around. Make it do what you want it to do!

Hi Geoff:I will assume that you are looking for something to use under IFR and tracking a VOR or NDB for approach. Otherwise, the crab angle is something you judge and then adjust on visual final by using the feedback from your eyes.My dad taught me years ago the simple 0-30-60 to 0-3-5 formula. Basically what this is for simple correction while in the soup and is based on 100kts groundspeed and 10kts of wind (you can mentally adjust for changes to both as necessary). Example: You have a 10kt headwind 30deg to the right of you course. You would change heading 3 degrees to the right to maintain course and keep the needles centered. For the same 10kt of wind comming at you from 60deg to course, you would change your heading by 5 degrees. Or, (now doing some quick mental changes) you have a 5kt wind to the left of course at 15 degrees. You would change heading 1.5 degree to the left to maintain course. Well, I hope you get the idea. Yes, this is not a perfect solution (which is why ILS is nice), but it will help you center the needles and keep you close to an NDB course. All adjustments after that are based on experience from doing WCAs over and over and over and... Hope this helps ya.Kathy.A Family Born to Fly.Daddy, Me and the Cessna, Me and the Chopperhttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/16350.gif