Sign in to follow this  
Guest Douglas K

Differences between Cessna 172P and 172SP

Guest Smiley

I believe about 20 HP. The 172P at my local FBO has 160 hp and the SP has 180 hp. I know the C172SP has Fuel Injection and I believe the P does as well. I've flown the SP but not the P.Kurt LivermoreBeaverton, ORPPL SEL

Guest Douglas K

>Can anybody please explain the differences between these 2 models.:DSeriously though, Smiley is correct; its about 20 hp and a little more performance.The SP model has a IO-360 Lycoming rated at 180 hp, while the P model has to make do with a O-320 and only 160 hp.The SP is fuel injected, hence the "I" in IO-360, while the P models engine has an updraft carburetor.If you want Barry, I can send you Ron Freimuth's C-172N files to use with your C-172P POH, both of these A/C use the 160 hp O-320, and the differences between the N and P models are non-existant as far as performance is concerned.