Sign in to follow this  
Guest iwanplomp

When Virtual Earth gets updated..

Guest iwanplomp

Hello people. Im SA577 BirdDog (serious Airlines) From FTL. and iw onder how i can find out when Virtual Earth (Bingmaps) gets updated other than reading about it here on the forums.In other words how does the update topic person finds out?!Thanks.. BD

You can see what gets updated every month here http://www.bing.com/community/blogs/maps/a...es/default.aspx Click the links for a full list of updates from each month.But if you go to the Bing World Tour page, http://bingmapsupdates.cloudapp.net/ , and install Microsoft's Silverlight, just their version of Java, then you can see all the updates highlighted on the map with blue squares which you can click and zoom in. You can also look at previous months updates by click at the top right of the map.I'm not sure how he gets the map version number though. Maybe he can spill that secret.

The foolproof way to get the map version I find, is to empty the internet cache folder (IE: tools -> internet options -> Delete. Then in the same option screen you can open the folder by pressing the setups button -> Show files. Then I've allready opened the correct map in the browser, so when I now move around, it downloads new images. I can then update the cache folder by pressing "F5", and look at the images, what info is in the name of them.(PS: I'm using a Norwegian version of Windows, so not sure if my menu options translations are 100% correct.)Another way in Firefox, is to simply navigate to the correct map, then on the Tools menu select "Page information", then media, and see if you find the number resembling the old version.

Guest iwanplomp

Thanks for the quick reply! Kind Regards. BirdDog.