Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

Video card and Ultimate Traffic

Hi all, :-waveI have two questions.1)I'm desperately looking for a 128mg GeForce 4 video card in the price-range of about $125-$250.:-zhelp I'm looking for a card with good performance and preferably no bundle.The best I could come up with was the Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9500 Pro for $188.Any comments or suggestions?I want to seriously upgrade my AI for FS2002 and have come accross the well known Ultimate Traffic.I would purchase it immediately if I hadn't heard it was a frame rate killer.:-newburn My questions for you are:2)Are the frame rates so bad,if so or if not,what video card do you have? 3)Is the price worth it?Thanx a million(no,a BILLION!).Any comments or suggestion are greatly appreciated! :-beerchugTheo, South Africa:-sun1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Theo - The 9500 isn't a GF4 card. The chip on the 9500 is made by ATI and the GF4 chip is made by nVidia. Two completely separate companies and card types. For US$125-250 you can get either the GF4 4200, 4400, 4600, etc. Or the very good ATI 9700 is about US$220. Or the 9500 or 9600 for less than US$200. But...(there is always one of those) it is highly unlikely that a change in video card alone is going to improve the framerates with Ultimate Traffic, or any other AI process. The framerate issue with AI traffic is caused by CPU power (or lack of it), not video card power alone. If the only objective is to improve the AI framerate I'd look at upgrading the CPU first. I'm using a P4 at 2.508Mhz with a cheapo 64MB GF4 Ti4200 and with the exception of EGLL, KORD, and KLAX, I haven't seen a single-digit framerate with Ultimate Traffic yet (with 100% ATC, all the sliders maxxed, 2X FSAA and 4X AF). I doubt that upgrading my video card would change my framerates at all except with increased FSAA or AF. Any chance you can increase the CPU speed instead of swapping the video card?Doug