Sign in to follow this  
Guest goon

Just thought I'd share...

Ha ha, that's rich.I remember those clouds well because FS5.1 was the first flight sim I ever had. I thought those clouds looked quite amazing at the time because they were actual textures.And the "friendly" clouds in that sim were just cubes, so you can see where I'm coming from :-).-Derek

That pic that I took was actually from FS98.. the funny thing is that I have a GeForce 4 Ti4600. :DChris "Bourbon" PitaloAlaskan Bush Pilot (FS98)"Give me liberty or give me an An-2."

Guest JeanLuc_

Not to forget the Microsoft Flight Simulator for Amiga, FS2 I think at this time, back in 1990, which graphically was what PC users got only with FS5...in 1993...! :-)v with sampled engine sounds on the Amiga!!! :-)

My first flight sim would have to be SubLogic's Flight Simulator ][ on our old Commodore 64.Think FS2002 takes a long time to load? FS ][ on the C64 would take a total of about 4-5 minutes to load from disk. (I'd hate to see how long it would have taken from cassette if they had a cassette version... :() Performance? It was the slideshow of all slideshows :)However, I was never able to land properly on a runway until I got my hands on FS4 for IBM...

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Guest PhilipManwaring

Thanks for bringing back those wonderful memories. My friends and I spent more hours than I care to imagine playing that game just for the great 'feel of flight' it captured. Not bad for an 8MHz CPU and only 512 KB of graphics memory!

Guest Toni Rauch

My first FS goes back even further than those mentioned so far....It was Psion Flight Simulator written for the Sinclair Spectrum 48K computer. It was written in Basic and loaded from cassette tape (like pretty well all programs in that era). Your 'flying world' consisted of a quite small area with plain blue for the sky and plain green for the ground. The ground had these special features to find: One North/South slab (runway), one East/West slab (runway), and three shaped 'blobs' (round, triangle and square), representing lakes. There was also a very basic instrument panel...... This was even before the Commodore 64 was made.Ah, those were the days - great fun! :D Toni.

...slab... ahahahaha..Chris "Bourbon" PitaloAlaskan Bush Pilot (FS98)Cessna Cardinal (Temp)

What amazes me is that my recollection of those old sims is of so much higher quality than it really was. I loaded up a copy of PAW a few months ago - had memories of how great it was and how similar it was in quality to EAW - NOT! 640x480 just doesn't cut it anymore. I was shocked, and continue to be shocked, at how much my memory deceives me. I'd like to think this rate of evolution is plateauing, that each permutation of FS is more similar to the last, that photorealism is as good as it is going to get, but I'm sure we'll be laughing at how archaic FS2004 looked in 2010 the same way!Thanks,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest goon

Here is the ENTIRE code for the first flight sim I ever played. Balloon Sim, on a 1Kb ZX-81. I must have been about 9 or 10.10 CLS20 LET D=150030 LET M=1040 LET F=30050 LET A=060 LET H=070 PRINT

Guys,I used to LOVE this game I had for my Commodore64. I can't remember the name though. It was a little aerobatic jet (you played it from a spot plane view). The game was basically flying this little sucker through obstacles and a bunch of other stuff.Anyone remember what it was called??Stephen

It wasn't "Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer" was it?

Hmm.. I don't about that one but there was also another Amiga sim that involved "Botch-blasting" (or something like that..) and that was a killer game.. I could spend hours just doing the same mission over and over.Chris "Bourbon" PitaloAlaskan Bush Pilot (FS98/2002)Cessna Cardinal Pwnz Joo