Sign in to follow this  
askyhawk

newbie enthusiasm

I purchased my copy of Fly!II back when it was fairly new, but got involved with other things and never really gave it a good wringing out. I found it the other day whilesorting through some old software for a flightsim that would run on my single core intel/vista_home laptop. (flightsim 2k was the only MS version that would run at a decent speed, but crapped out too often.)I installed Fly!II, applied the patches and was very pleasantly surprised with the results. I flew for several hours the next few days, testing all of the stock flight models, and had zero program stability issues. As my enthusiasm grew, I decided to try a few addon planes, resulting in the old "subsystem error". After a trip to this forum, I decided a re-install was in order.O.K. Delete... defrag.............................install...patch...boot..subsystem error...repeat.So, I figured maybe a key hangnailing the registry. Poked around, but couldn't locate one.The subsystem error com seems to appear for different files each time I boot.Any ideas to keep this dummy busy for a while?BTW, I was very touched to find a community still involved with this sim. God speed to Richard Harvey, and thanks to all who have put so much time and love into this project.I look forward to your feedback!Rick

Hi Rick.I wish I could be of more help, but I will give you some ideas.We will need more details about your OS, Memory, CPU, Video for better help, but you can look at some of the video problems / configurations recommended is some of these messages. Try to install it in the sequence recommended in some of these posts, and make sure you delete All the Folders related to FlyII before a new install.Does any other program that you have generates and Error, if it does your hard disk should be checked for errors.Try to fly over the default areas and see if the problem goes away. I am running it on Vista 64 without any problems, and ran on every OS since the original Fly first released. TV

Hi Rick.I wish I could be of more help, but I will give you some ideas.We will need more details about your OS, Memory, CPU, Video for better help, but you can look at some of the video problems / configurations recommended is some of these messages. Try to install it in the sequence recommended in some of these posts, and make sure you delete All the Folders related to FlyII before a new install.Does any other program that you have generates and Error, if it does your hard disk should be checked for errors.Try to fly over the default areas and see if the problem goes away. I am running it on Vista 64 without any problems, and ran on every OS since the original Fly first released. TV
Hi TV,I see you run FlyII on Vista64 with no issues. Did you have to do anything special for the install? I roo am running Vista64 and cannot get the program to install. The When I click the Install switch on the installation program the screen goes black and the program hangs. I am running the install as the PC's admin.Regards,Bob L

Hi TV,I see you run FlyII on Vista64 with no issues. Did you have to do anything special for the install? I roo am running Vista64 and cannot get the program to install. The When I click the Install switch on the installation program the screen goes black and the program hangs. I am running the install as the PC's admin.Regards,Bob L
Hello Bob,I run also Fly!II (and Legacy) on MS Vista 64 Home and there are nothing particular to do, even for installation.Didier

Hello Bob,I run also Fly!II (and Legacy) on MS Vista 64 Home and there are nothing particular to do, even for installation.Didier
Thanks for the reply.I'm completely stumped as to why it won't load. The FlyII splash install screen where I can click to install FlyII, Adode, DirectX or view the Readme file closes immediately as soon as I click on the FlyII install. The readme file opens with no problem and the setup32.exe file is listed as running in the taskbar but nothing happens. Hmm, guess I'll have to wait for Windows 7.Bob L

Hi Bob and everyone.It is difficult to say what your issue may be, but you can try to:Disable the UAC during install.Disable any Firewall / AV.Make sure you run the install in XP, or older, compatibility.If all fails and you have an installed version on an older system, just Move All the Directory to your New system TV

Hi Bob and everyone.It is difficult to say what your issue may be, but you can try to:Disable the UAC during install.Disable any Firewall / AV.Make sure you run the install in XP, or older, compatibility.If all fails and you have an installed version on an older system, just Move All the Directory to your New system TV
Avcomware - Thanks for the reply. Copying the entire directory from my XP PC worked. I'm up and running on my new Vista64 PC. Thanks again,Bob L

Hi, Bob and everyone.I am glad you got it running.I burned a Basic, just some Terrascene scenery in SoCal on DVDs, and I use them when I start a new system. Is anyone using it on Win7? TV

Guest Delapsus
Is anyone using it on Win7? TV
Both Fly! and Fly! II run under windows 7 although I had to fudge the install of fly by installing it in a windows 98 VM and then copying the directory to the Windows 7 machine.But once it's up and running no problems at all.Of course, your mileage may varyJW