Sign in to follow this  
btrjet

Processor speeds?? AMD

Hi all :DI have a AMD 1.33 TB and was looking at the AMD XP220+, the max myEpox board can take, what is the true difference in speed compared to my old cpu, I think XP2200+ is not 2.2ghz??thankyou,Steve*EDIT* OPPSS sorry Mr Mod, wrong box :-shy

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have an XP2200 and the cpu speed is 1.8ghz. I wanted a 2400 which is 2.0 but they were not in stock and it was a big price jump at the time so I got the XP2200.Jon

"what is the true difference in speed"It's a complicated question because there are a lot of different components that work together to give you what you perceive as good or bad performance in a PC.It's a bit like saying that you currently have a Volkswagen with a top speed of 100 mph and you're going to buy a Porsche with a top speed of 250 mph and then asking how much shorter your commute to work will be.Will the Porsche get you to work faster? Almost certainly. But it's not as simple as 250/100 = 2.5 times faster. The time you spend at stoplights will stay the same. And your top speed in rush-hour will stay the same.

I can't tell you about your Epox board but I have AMD 1.6 which only pushes about 1.1 in actual fact. I too am looking at the 2200+ and without overclocking I expect to get about 1.9 give or take!Mark

Hey guys,thanks for the info :D I was loking at the XP2200 and a G4 Ti4200128 mb video card, I am always on a buget with my pc and hope thiswill make things ok for a few years ahead :-)Steve

I have that same CPU and card with 512MB and am pleased with what I have (and what I paid...)Rick

amd named their processors with the equivalent intel speed. their claim being that the , for instance, 1.53 ghz would perform the same as an intel 1.8. so, they named it 1800xp. it's a numbers game, because we, as consumers, tend to equate

I can give you an exact example.In direct side-by-side tests:My system with AMD Athlon 2500+ (Barton - 333FSB) which has a clock speed of "only" 1.83Mhz provides the same FS2002 performance as a friend's Intel P4 2.53 (533 FSB).Ti4200 and 512MB memory the same in both machines.Mine: Win98 (orig)His: Win XP Home.Pat