Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

744 - Flight mode w/CMD on climbout question

If you take off in the 744 using the FMC and in TO/GA mode, but without a valid flightplan or with a valid flightplan but VNAV not armed, what flight mode are you kicked into if you hit CMD during climbout? In the 767, it is SPD/VS, in the NG it is FLCH, but I cannot see what the mode is in the Queen as nothing specific lights up on the MCP or the FMA at such a time. Appreciate any responses.Thanks!Jonathan

If nothing is pre-selected, nothing will appear on the FMA other than TO. If you turn off the F/D's before engaging the A/P, the AFDS on the 744 acts in the same manner as the 763, or should.

FD off: When you engage CMD, VS will engage, since it is the default vertical mode. If your vertical speed is low (~250fpm if I recall), ALT HOLD will engage.FD ON: When you engage CMD, depending on the AFDS options PMDG simulated, TO may remain active until ALT hold engages. Otherwise, VS will engage.You said you weren't sure what was happening because nothing lights up on the MCP. Don't read the MCP. It doesn't give you all the information. Read the FMA.Paul

Hmm, thanks to you both for posting. I tried without the FD off and departed with an active route and then no route and ensured VNAV was off if a route was active. But the FMA just says THR REF on climbout and the other fields remain blank with no annunciation of any kind even with CMD turned on. I think I am in SPD HLD mode and ATT hold mode (rather than VS mode) because SPD seems to hold steady. Wings remain level with CMD activated too.The main reason I am interested in this is because I revisited the LVL-D 763 after a long break and was shocked that when I departed with an active FMC route and engaged CMD on climbout, I went straight into SPD/V-S mode which reduced my N1 and reduced my speed to the V2 in the IAS SPD window. It was scary and dangerous! I couldn't figure out what was going on until I realized that this is the default CMD mode if you don't hit VNAV or FLCH instead. So I wondered if the same would happen in the 744. The PMDG 744 doesn't seem to react in the same way as the 763 if you engage CMD alone on climbout. I am not sure what mode it kicks me into but it doesn't seem to be SPD/V-S, it seems more like FLCH mode.Jonathan

Very odd that the FMA would remain blank with CMD engaged.When you say "without the FD off", I assume you meant to say that the FD is off.Paul

Very odd that the FMA would remain blank with CMD engaged.When you say "without the FD off", I assume you meant to say that the FD is off.Paul
Yes, sorry, typo, I do mean with FD OFF !Jonathan