Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

camaflight

Network problems: Vista Home Premium and XP Pro using WideFS

Hi,I have set up a home network between my old XP Pro (32 bit) machine and my new Vista Home Premium (64 bit) machine.I have also set up both computers to take use of WideFS when the Vista machine will be the FS (server) and the XP machine the WideFS Client machine for FS 2004.All WideClient applications that I have tried so far; ASv6.5, RCv4.3, AISmooth, AISeparation are all running fine one by one or all simultaneosly, however; only for 31/2 to 5 minutes when the applications loose contact with FS although WideClient states that it is connected. The WideClient is at that time frozen though and to get it up and run again I will ahve to reboot the WideClient machine.I am no computer technologist and have, especially as regards network setup, poor knowledge. I have a hard time reading topics that seems related on the net or at the Microsoft support center. Although I can understand that this and that is stuff related to this issue I have no capability of understanding the technical details - and that's what this all seems to be about; technical details.I have seen some topics about the lack of options in Vista Home Premium to make SMB settings and I haven't found anything related to that at least regarding firewall settings in neither the Vista nor the XP machine.Have any of you a clue about what this issue really is about - is it SMB settings or something total different ?Regards,Carl

Hi,I have set up a home network between my old XP Pro (32 bit) machine and my new Vista Home Premium (64 bit) machine.I have also set up both computers to take use of WideFS when the Vista machine will be the FS (server) and the XP machine the WideFS Client machine for FS 2004.All WideClient applications that I have tried so far; ASv6.5, RCv4.3, AISmooth, AISeparation are all running fine one by one or all simultaneosly, however; only for 31/2 to 5 minutes when the applications loose contact with FS although WideClient states that it is connected. The WideClient is at that time frozen though and to get it up and run again I will ahve to reboot the WideClient machine.I am no computer technologist and have, especially as regards network setup, poor knowledge. I have a hard time reading topics that seems related on the net or at the Microsoft support center. Although I can understand that this and that is stuff related to this issue I have no capability of understanding the technical details - and that's what this all seems to be about; technical details.I have seen some topics about the lack of options in Vista Home Premium to make SMB settings and I haven't found anything related to that at least regarding firewall settings in neither the Vista nor the XP machine.Have any of you a clue about what this issue really is about - is it SMB settings or something total different ?Regards,Carl
Hi Carl,the fact that you can have network trafic during 3-5 minutes is a proof that your network configuration is good. I'm more inclined to either a possible harware malfunction of the network card (like trafic overflow) or bad network cables loosing the connection after a while.The first test you should do a testing the network with some heavy traffic between the 2 computers (like copying big directories/files) and see if you can maintain the connection active.Another possibility would be a periodic job severing the network activity while it is running (anti-virus scan ?)Have you checked also the systm events log to detect any malfunction ?For your info, my FS pc runs under Vista 64 Ultimate and the WideFS client runs under Windows 2000. No time-out issue ever encountered.PS: as another idea what protocol are you running with widefs ? I'm using the robust TCP/IP protocol (UDP protocol can loose network packets if congested).Patrick

Hi Patrick,thanks for responding !

the fact that you can have network trafic during 3-5 minutes is a proof that your network configuration is good. I'm more inclined to either a possible harware malfunction of the network card (like trafic overflow) or bad network cables loosing the connection after a while.The first test you should do a testing the network with some heavy traffic between the 2 computers (like copying big directories/files) and see if you can maintain the connection active.Another possibility would be a periodic job severing the network activity while it is running (anti-virus scan ?)
I think it is a little weird that the client applications works some minutes and then loose contact with FS. I have copied a group of heavy FS files from my old FS installation on the XP Pro machine to my new Vista HomeP. This went flawlessly. Once I started dowloading another group of files simultanously the latter stopped copying. I don't know, however, if that was due to something else than bad network connection. Hence, I will follow your suggestion and do this in a more scentific way. In my old computer I have three network adapters of which one is a wireless type. I have tried every one of them. For the two wire based adapters I have made connections through my router and also with crossover cable direct to the other machine ( I guess same as using a hub or switch that are not directly connected to internet). I have also tried unplugging internet, turning off anti virus program (avast 4.8 Pro) and firewalls at both ends and then connecting the two computers by crossover cable as described..So, this also sustain your thought about it being some faulty hardware. However, in the same time I find it a little far fetched as well because then at the XP machine all three adapters must be malfunctioning or; for the new Vista machine there are two dual built-in network adapters and the machine is quite new and working very well at least with huge downloads from internet ( for which also the old machine is capabel of). I have also tried my old router in addition to the PC to PC connection. What kind of hardware malfunction could it then be?
Have you checked also the system events log to detect any malfunction ?
Well, I can't say I have done that thoroughly because I am not familiar with all the options and places to look in Vista Home Premium. However, based on your question here I have now looked through the information found under computer-mange - event properties ........... It certainly gives me a hard time trying to understand all that's written there. However, there are listed some errors and I have searched Microsoft help center and the internet in general by following the error ID numbers. All I can say is that some of the errors refer to network, but it's rather a question now if I am capable of understanding the information.
PS: as another idea what protocol are you running with widefs ? I'm using the robust TCP/IP protocol (UDP protocol can loose network packets if congested).
I'm using the TCP/IP protocol, but have tried the UDP to see if it would make any difference - it didn't.Well, it seems now that I may be stuck here baecause of a lack of technical knowledge. I can try to find somebdy, hoping to get some guidelines about what can be done as regards the error ID'sJust to inform, if of any interest, the error ID's are related to SharedAccess_NAT and Dhcp-Client only. The ID's are as follows:SharedAccess_NAT: 30013, 34001, 34004, 34005Dhcp-Client: 1002, 1003Again, if of any interest, I will gladly give copies of the text added to the error messages. The texts aren't too long.Regards,Carl

A really old topic, I thought I would still post the solution as it may help others searching. In Vista, go to the properties of your network connection and look for internet protocol IPv6 and 'uncheck it'then go to configuer > advanced, scroll down the list and locate RSS ( receive side scaling ) and disable it. Wide FS is unaware of these newer technologies and will cause the disconnection. Ron.