Sign in to follow this  
Guest SgtBel4

Tripple Monitor, Throttle Pedestal Framrate Question

Guest SgtBel4

Howdy All...Howdy to all. High end computer and a quick question for the pros. I have my throttle pedestal undocked on the right hand monitor and when it is displayed there is a huge 20-40 frame rate drop, when I choose to hide the panel a massive spike in frames. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this and whether or not there is a way to adjust for this to have it open all the time. FYI since the last update I have noticed this more so. Questions, Comments, Suggestions? Happens in full screen and windowed!Jody Belfour

Howdy All...Howdy to all. High end computer and a quick question for the pros. I have my throttle pedestal undocked on the right hand monitor and when it is displayed there is a huge 20-40 frame rate drop, when I choose to hide the panel a massive spike in frames. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this and whether or not there is a way to adjust for this to have it open all the time. FYI since the last update I have noticed this more so. Questions, Comments, Suggestions? Happens in full screen and windowed!Jody Belfour
Jody- There appears to be significant differences in how various popups affect performace. On my triple monitor/ triple views setup, Overhead and COM panels generally are the worst FPS hogs when opened- so generally they are not kept open- only as needed. This may be due to both size and underlying program complexity.However, in my very recent acquistion- Extreme KingAir B200- the Switch panel is the FPS eater whereas in DreamFleet planes SW panel has no negative effect.You might try reducing the size of the undocked popup- although that seems to have liitle gain in my experience.I have been surprised that the PMDG 747 CDU popup seems to have no FPS effect when open- in fact I can have both Captain and FO CDUs open simultaneously at different pages- with little or no penalty. Throttle Pedestal also has little effect on system performance.Are you using Dual Video cards to drive your monitors? Are they the same type cards or different? If there are differences, have you tried dragging the Pedestal popup to another mon? What happens if you reduce monitor resolution?Alex ReidPMDG FS9 747 @ CYVR R26 Note dual CDUs and lower EICAS display overlaid on the Throttle Pedestal. (AMD 1.8 Ghz & two GeForce FX5200 GPUs.)

JodyI use multiple monitors (TH2go + DH2go + 2 more individual monitors) and undock just about every popup I can, and drag them to different monitors. I have noticed, like you, that the Aft/Fwd pedestal on the MD-11 has the greatest FPS impact. I have a macro setup on my TouchBuddy screen (a button) that opens and closes both Aft and Fwd pedestal popups to keep the FPS up when needed. In cruise, it's not much of an issue, mostly it's just during ground handling. I also have TouchBuddy buttons to arm the spoiler handle and increase or decrease the autobrake settings so that I don't have to display these two popups (for the most part).Like Alex indicated, each addon behaves differently. And I have tried to figure out for each one the biggest offender and simply make an easy way to temporarily hide it. On the Super80, it seems to be the MCDU. On the Maddog MD-80, it's the overhead panel. At least on my system that's how it is.On the NGX, it will be....I wonder. Hmmm, maybe PMDG will send me an advanced copy so that I can test this aspect "for the good of the community". (??)Noel WThe Fwd/Aft pedestal is on the far right in this second photo.

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

Jody- I should add that there can be a performance difference depending on which monitor, a popup panel is displayed. I use an AGP GeForce FX5200 video card for main and #2 monitors. The same spec GeForce card in PCI version drives monitor #3.There is a distinct FPS performance gain when displaying a popup such as 747 Overhead on #2 as opposed to #3 monitor. Alex Reid