Sign in to follow this  
Guest wjmeier

Quad Core Processor

Guest wjmeier

I just installed a 3gz core 2 quad core to replace my existing core 2 duo. I was hoping for improved framerates. What I got was a cut in frame rates of 25 to 50%. I flashed the bios with the most recent upgrade. I must be doing something wrong. Surely a quad core processor will help improve performace. Is there maybe something that must be changed in BIOS or in the operating system to take advantage of the quad core processor.BJ

FSX is a largely serial application. It has but one "heavyweight" thread. The rest are just worker threads. As such, it performs better with a high clockspeed than with more cores (assuming the same micro-architecture). If you once again overclock your CPU your FPS will return.

G'day mate.I just did the same thing recently - upgraded my CPU from a Q6600 (2.4GHz oc'd to 3.3GHz) to a Q9650 (3GHz oc'd to 3.75GHz) - and my sim is smooth as, even after putting my settings higher than before. (Still aiming for the magic 4GHz mark, though.).Did you by any chance delete your "FSX.CFG" file before firing up FSX for the first time after the upgrade?If not, make a backup copy and then delete the old FSX.CFG. FSX will then build a new one based on the new performance data. I did this then flew around on a test flight happy as a pig in mud. Only after a while did I realise that I hadn't even applied any of my favourite CFG tweaks! Can't wait to see how FSX does after that step.Smooth skies.

I just installed a 3gz core 2 quad core to replace my existing core 2 duo. I was hoping for improved framerates. What I got was a cut in frame rates of 25 to 50%. I flashed the bios with the most recent upgrade. I must be doing something wrong. Surely a quad core processor will help improve performace. Is there maybe something that must be changed in BIOS or in the operating system to take advantage of the quad core processor.BJ
It is strange-though my machine is a little less powerful (i7 920 2.67ghz) I am finding the same results. The main thing I notice is it doesn't seem to matter if the sliders are full left or full right-there is a narrow fps range which is about 25-50% of what I got with my core 2 duo.