Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Morgan

Copyright infringement...

I thought I'd post this extract from e-mail correspondence that has taken place since I submitted three OT airport upgrades for upload to the Avsim file library. I'd be grateful for any comments anyone cares to make.18 November 2009 03:45:45Hello from AVSIM,First and foremost, I would like to thank you for supporting the Flight Sim community and uploading to the AVSIM File Library. However, I regret to inform you that we had to reject your uploaded file(s) for the following reason(s): 1. As like the other file you uploaded you can not use other peoples work without there consent Or if the original author has stated that others may use parts of his/her work. Please re-upload with the above mentioned amended. Thank you for your assistance in this matter!18 November 2009 08:36:30Hi,If it's OK with you, I'll post a transcript of this in the Flight Unlimited forum. I'm not entirely sure myself of the situation (hence the comments in the upload) but maybe the following will clarify things a little...I have not used any distinct/discrete files or sections of code created by other people. In Flight Unlimited 3 all static 3-d scenery models are referred to by *.mod files. Since I had downloaded collections of 3-d models form your library, I placed some of those around the airports. Neither the models nor the code are included in the 3 packages I uploaded but they are referred to by my *.mod files. If someone else has downloaded those models and so already has them in their installation, then the airports will end up more heavily (and accurately) populated with buildings. However, the packages will run fine without them; it's just that the scenery will be rather sparse.I'll wait for your reply, and for comments in the forum.19 November 2009 01:16:55Hello From Avsim!That is fine. I was not 100% sure what you were saying so to be on the safe side I deleted the upload go ahead and re upload them and I will approve them. I hope you understand we have to be careful when it comes to copyrightsRegards,These screenshots give the general idea:The questions are obvious:1. I don't know whether reference to someone else's work by screenshot, movgrobj.dat or a *.mod file constitutes copyright infringement. Is anyone here able to set me straight on this?2. If it does (bsts), well... it's all you. There's a list below of stuff I used while making the upgrades. None of the files are included in the packages I submitted but as explained in the mail, the airports would be pretty drab without them. Assuming that it turns out to be necessary, please may I have your permission to refer to your work in the movgrobj.dat and *.mod files I've put into the proposed upgrades?If you're sufficiently curious, or want to edit the credit given in the readme.txt for each airport, I'll happily mail the files to you for a closer look.I think the following pretty well covers the 'other peoples work', including things as far removed as AI interaction, weather, terrain and repaints shown in screenshots.1. freeware (no problem I guess)ai_package_v1_00.zip, Ansgar Avermeyerff01.zip, Rob Driscoll fu3_cfg.zip, Rob Driscollfu3_witch.zip, Rob Driscollvigilant.zip, Ches Ledster & John Lewis peerless_windhawk.zip, Jouko Huovinentrainerb.zip, Jouko Huovinenclareval.zip, Jon Pointdhc6mod.zip, Jon Pointdhc8_300.zip, Jon Pointjmod03.zip, Jon Pointjmod05a.zip, Jon Pointmodels.zip, Jon Pointnewtrees.zip, Jon Point lks_rvrs1.zip, John J. Voznak2. freeware, limited distributiontigermothstatic.zip, Andr

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Dave,Looks very good, no objections here so far :-) (my tigermothstatic.zip)Andre

While I haven't contributed to any of the models you're using I'd just like to make a point,Provided you simply "call" models that must be obtained by downloading other freeware uploads there's no problem. It would go like "To fully appreciate this scenery enhancement you should also download the models by John the Modeler. Just search for the file JohnM_buildings.zip"Conversely, if you include the models in your upload you should ask first. In any event, I believe most of the developers would be delighted to see their freeware models being reused as long as they're being credited. The REAL copyright issue is to have someone scoop other people's work, rename it (and possibly modify it a tad to cover up the heist) and present it as his own.