Sign in to follow this  
Maccers

Europe Meshes = Crash

I was wondering if anyone was able to give some insight (or help me understand) a problem that has cropped up since I started running FS9 with Win7 x64. A bit of background information first. I've been running the freeware 13-part mesh of Europe since I first saw it available on Avsims' library (not long after FS9's launch, I believe), I've also been running a higher-resolution mesh of the Alps over the top of this mesh for a long time and never had problems with this setup on Win XP. The problem in question is around Switzerland specifically, or somewhere like Austria where the sim loads the scenery at around this point when approaching from the south. I first noticed it on a flight from LIRF - EGKK. Flying from Gatwick to Rome wasn't a problem since my route went around the French Riviera, but on the way back to London my route went right over the alps, and it would crash almost exactly at the point RC4 would hand me off from Milano to Switzerland Controls. Similarly to the route past the Riviera, flying from the UK north east (to say, Finland) or on a NAT route wouldn't crash the sim. I spent hours enabling and disabling various scenery files, flying the same route with aircraft ranging from the default 747, Dave Maltby's VC10, iFDG ACJ and PMDG 738. Eventually I came to the conclusion that both the Europe and separate Alps meshes were causing the same error, even with one disabled, the other would cause the crash. The only way to fly over this area is to have both meshes disabled. But here's the catch, and one that nearly threw me off course into a texture problem... The error only happens during the day! Set the sim time to night time hours and you can jump between Sion and Helsinki as much as you want. For the record, I also have a freeware mesh for South Africa, I can fly FAJS - FACT (Essentially one end of the country to the other) without problem. So I'm thinking this might be because either Windows 7 doesn't like the Swiss (or at least placing a mesh in the neutral state) or because I have had the mesh files saved in a zip file for a few years just in case Avsim ever lost them (which happened in the hack, unfortunately) and the files have become heavily defragmented over time. As for the latter, I've done a defrag with Win7's default tool to no avail, so I've downloaded another off the net and am going to leave it doing a deep-optimise overnight. Without being able to download a number of the original files from here I can't just delete and start again. Not sure how hardware can effect this, since my rig could handle the area with the same hardware under XP but I have Home Premium x64, AMD 64 X2 5200+, 4 GB RAM, Nvidia 9600GSO 512Mb, SB!Live Audigy2 and a 500 GB Main Hard Drive. And here are the error messages that get thrown up when it crashes. I've studied computing at degree level, but even this is gibberish to me. What I do understand is MFC70.dll is installed with FS and isn't part of Win7, but it does contain Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC) functions for Visual C++.

Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: FS9.exe Application Version: 9.1.0.40901 Application Timestamp: 4135a208 Fault Module Name: StackHash_b80f Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000 Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: ffff0000 OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3 Locale ID: 2057 Additional Information 1: b80f Additional Information 2: b80fa8aa693f9630e858f5a976d06b8a Additional Information 3: 2ade Additional Information 4: 2adea04e810ac36f6067d59a816f636a
Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: FS9.exe Application Version: 9.1.0.40901 Application Timestamp: 4135a208 Fault Module Name: MFC70.DLL Fault Module Version: 7.0.9466.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 3c36f60b Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 0000f0e7 OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3 Locale ID: 2057 Additional Information 1: 5671 Additional Information 2: 5671258c3ee99395fbbab1c94739002b Additional Information 3: 29ff Additional Information 4: 29ff86a8ee00c7a99308aa8d006d2793

Andy McIntyre

Try running FS9.exe with a Compatibility selection for 'WXP 64' or even 'Vista x64'.You could also install the C++ SDK from MS ... might fix something.Could just be bad mesh though, you could also un-install the custom mesh and see how things go.I don't know how good the mesh is but do check out FSGenesis mesh and landclass.

Hi McCrash, thanks for the reply Unfortunately I'm unemployed right now, so buying any payware meshes is out of the question. However tempting it may be, and however bulging my wallet could be it would make no difference. I did a bit of searching around for another freeware mesh file and found Simviations world mesh. Normally I would avoid Simviation with a colossal barge pole but desperate times call for desperate measures. Same as the other two meshes I have, this one crashed in exactly the same manner. So doing all that defragging overnight was somewhat futile, but at least my hard drive is nicely organised now :( What I've tried since then is compatibility modes for all versions of XP and Vista, but I'm wondering why Microsoft continues to include this feature, I've been trying it since XP and it has never been of any use. I've updated the aforementioned MFC70.dll, installed the C++ SDK and VStudio redistribute and again, no change to the sim. :( I guess for now I will have to have Europe looking very flat and bland, and my alps looking more like the Yorkshire Dales... :( I was wondering though, if anyone else running FS9 could try this for me, go to Simviation (/spit) and download the file EB44 (the file I tried and caused the same error) and run this in their sim, then launch FS9 at Sion (LSGS) and tell me if they crash while loading the scenery? Cheers

Andy McIntyre

Hi McCrash, thanks for the reply Unfortunately I'm unemployed right now, so buying any payware meshes is out of the question. However tempting it may be, and however bulging my wallet could be it would make no difference. I did a bit of searching around for another freeware mesh file and found Simviations world mesh. Normally I would avoid Simviation with a colossal barge pole but desperate times call for desperate measures. Same as the other two meshes I have, this one crashed in exactly the same manner. So doing all that defragging overnight was somewhat futile, but at least my hard drive is nicely organised now :( What I've tried since then is compatibility modes for all versions of XP and Vista, but I'm wondering why Microsoft continues to include this feature, I've been trying it since XP and it has never been of any use. I've updated the aforementioned MFC70.dll, installed the C++ SDK and VStudio redistribute and again, no change to the sim. :( I guess for now I will have to have Europe looking very flat and bland, and my alps looking more like the Yorkshire Dales... :( I was wondering though, if anyone else running FS9 could try this for me, go to Simviation (/spit) and download the file EB44 (the file I tried and caused the same error) and run this in their sim, then launch FS9 at Sion (LSGS) and tell me if they crash while loading the scenery? Cheers
Maybe you have some corrupted files. You might have to re-install FSX using the 'repair' option and then re-install your add-ons.