Sign in to follow this  
Guest jasonaerts

Help setting up FSX and W7

Guest jasonaerts

I have finally built myself a nice core i7 system and was so excited to finally get some smooth flying going.... Unfortunately things are never as easy as one would hope.So i was hoping the very helpfull folks ive seen here in my many years of trolling would perhaps be able to give me a hand getting FSX to run the way i hope she can.First off here's my setupmsi P55-GD65Intel i7 860 Lynnfield prime stable @ 3.8ghz4g Corsair Dominator 1600C8 @ 8,8,8,24GTX 295 (i know not ideal but its what i got)WD Velociraptor 300g850w Antec TruePower QuatroRunning on W7Second i have done the recomended install procedure written by Nick, and played around with many of the tweaks out there and still am finding things a bit less then disireable.Mostly its the stuttering that is killing me, textures seem to load up pretty sharp... so anyway i was hoping someone with a similar system or with just more knowledge then myself could help get me going in the right direction, with the current system above.Current FSX install: FSX, sp1, sp2, GEX, REX, and the LEVEL-D 767Almost always fly the Level-D (i like heavy metal) in and out of KSEA, to KLAX or KLAS, not sure if that matters.Ok well cheers guys & gals and i look forward to and appreciate any help you could lend :)

Guest firehawk44
I have finally built myself a nice core i7 system and was so excited to finally get some smooth flying going.... Unfortunately things are never as easy as one would hope.So i was hoping the very helpfull folks ive seen here in my many years of trolling would perhaps be able to give me a hand getting FSX to run the way i hope she can.First off here's my setupmsi P55-GD65Intel i7 860 Lynnfield prime stable @ 3.8ghz4g Corsair Dominator 1600C8 @ 8,8,8,24GTX 295 (i know not ideal but its what i got)WD Velociraptor 300g850w Antec TruePower QuatroRunning on W7Second i have done the recomended install procedure written by Nick, and played around with many of the tweaks out there and still am finding things a bit less then disireable.Mostly its the stuttering that is killing me, textures seem to load up pretty sharp... so anyway i was hoping someone with a similar system or with just more knowledge then myself could help get me going in the right direction, with the current system above.Current FSX install: FSX, sp1, sp2, GEX, REX, and the LEVEL-D 767Almost always fly the Level-D (i like heavy metal) in and out of KSEA, to KLAX or KLAS, not sure if that matters.Ok well cheers guys & gals and i look forward to and appreciate any help you could lend :)
Nice system. If you have your fsx settings set too high, this could be placing too many resources on your system. To eliminate or reduce stuttering, developers of FSX recommended changing your FPS slider. The default was set at 25 and new systems/technology might call for increasing this to a number somewhere in the 30's. I personally keep mine set at unlimited because I have a lot of MegaScenery and photoscenery installed and have seen no problems except with the PMDG 747. The LDS 767 works well as well as the CS 757. Welcome to the tweaking world of FSX!Best regards,Jim

I've got pretty close to the same system as you, and the main thing I've noticed about the upgrade is the lack of stutters. Around New York the framerates get really, really low, but they are very steady. You indicate that you mostly fly the big fancy stuff while I pretty much stay with GA, and that can make a big difference. If I was to troubleshoot performance problems, I would do it first with default GA aircraft in not so dense scenery areas. If stutters occur then, you can pretty much assume that it is a hardware or background application problem. If not, try different combinations until the problem appears. In my case, I have max FPS at 24, minimized the number of background applications with the msconfig start profile and set sound to 16 bit instead of 24 bit.

Art

Guest davidgomez
I've got pretty close to the same system as you, and the main thing I've noticed about the upgrade is the lack of stutters. Around New York the framerates get really, really low, but they are very steady. You indicate that you mostly fly the big fancy stuff while I pretty much stay with GA, and that can make a big difference. If I was to troubleshoot performance problems, I would do it first with default GA aircraft in not so dense scenery areas. If stutters occur then, you can pretty much assume that it is a hardware or background application problem. If not, try different combinations until the problem appears. In my case, I have max FPS at 24, minimized the number of background applications with the msconfig start profile and set sound to 16 bit instead of 24 bit.
Make sure you have " pause on task switch " UNchecked in settings, this setting seems to badly effect W7 installs on multicores , be sure to follow this guide http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041 ( I was REALLY surprised how much this helped ) also search for Nickns testing Hyperthreading and affinity mask settings thread. Basically anytime im looking to settings i google " fsx Nickn ***** " with *** being whatever im struggling with. That IS a nice system you have and it WILL run FSX the way you want. I have to tell you though in the end ( 2 weeks of testing way too much time on my hands ) i went back to Windows XP 64 bit and put FSX on its own drive ( regular speed seperate physical not partitioned ) and I got better results in it than in W7 on my system which is similarily specd proc wise. Win 7 also likes to work under DX10 preview more. Get a good defrag for the disk also and remember as per nicks guide REBOOt between each install layer ( basically follow it to the letter ).Best of luck and happy flying and congrats on the new rig.

Guest jasonaerts

Great guys those are some good tips thank you.Im still testing and trying to get the most out of my machine, still not sure how i feel about HT and FSX, it seems to keep things smoother and load objects further out to reduce pop in, but at the same time its alot more dificult to get safe temps and a 3.8 ghz stable OC with the HT function ON.Thanks again an feel free to keep those tips coming CHeers

Great guys those are some good tips thank you.Im still testing and trying to get the most out of my machine, still not sure how i feel about HT and FSX, it seems to keep things smoother and load objects further out to reduce pop in, but at the same time its alot more dificult to get safe temps and a 3.8 ghz stable OC with the HT function ON.Thanks again an feel free to keep those tips coming CHeers
I would recommend Nick's nHancer setup, and using an affinitymask value of 3 for two cores, and turning HT off, and then test FSX.put into fsx.cfg file ...[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=3

Guest jasonaerts
I would recommend Nick's nHancer setup, and using an affinitymask value of 3 for two cores, and turning HT off, and then test FSX.put into fsx.cfg file ...[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=3
I will give this a shot thanks for the reply McCrash