Sign in to follow this  
ST1322

Dynamic wx change and use of snapshots

Hi all. I have problem with understanding how the dynamic update works? What are the differences between different settings? Which setting will give the most realistic wx output? some set it to 0% some set it to 100% and others to 50%. I have read many threads, and nowhere it is actually explained how it really works... and yes, I did read the manual :)SEcond thing is the use of snapshot. First of all, I did read the manual about it, however I seek a bit more og explanation. Ok, so i use REX for textures and ASA for weather. Now to me it looks like I should import about 7 different textures which will correspond to different weather output by ASA. For example, I choose the best clouds settings for rain or thunder or nice clear skies. I upload each set of textures to FSX and after one is installed i take a snapshot and allocat it. Then upload another and take the shot. After 7 shots I should have the perfect set and... then ASA will upload them according to the wx reportes. It this the way it should be?Thanks for any comments.

Tom Link

Hi ST,I will assume you mean the Dynamic Rate of Change Slider. It does the exact same thing and over rides the exact slider in FSX; it controls how quickly the weather will change when the data calls for a change. I set mine at 0 because I feel that I get smoother weather transitions that way, especially on my older computer. You should experiment to see which is best for you.This is correct about the snapshots and the good thing is, is that FSX doesn't even need to be running. Do a few more sets for each weather category so that ASA has something to choose from.

Hi, thanks for quick reply. Yes, I do mean that slider. Ok, so if it is at medium to lower settings, it will smooth the wind, but what about the weather change? I read that it will change but will I get the weather as it supposed to be for landing?Now i will experiment with 50 to lower settings.

Tom Link

Hi,It won't smooth the wind at all, but the weather changes. Yes, your landing weather will be fine.

I got some more q's regarding the snapshot. i just installed all textures for all 7 conditions. And then what do i do? Just leave as it is and ASA will pick the correct ones according to the weather report?When flight plan got loaded, I had option to upload snapshot, and I did - Universal. As a result I had... 15 degrees temp when it should have been 1. QNH was nto matching either. So I quit ASA, restarted it and loaded again, but without going for load snapshot option. Result was positive as the temp/weather and QNH was matching perfectly.Can you please post additional explanation? Thanks!

Tom Link

Hi,You process a plan and ASA will ask you, just as it did. Now, snapshots do not contain ANY weather data. All the weather data still comes from ASA so in your example all that data came from AS, not from the snapshot. No matter what, make sure you are giving everything enough time and that Lock to Closest is checked On in ASA. Also, make sure both ASA and FS are using system time. So keep letting me know how you are doing with this!

I will try this tonoght. One more.. do I have to load one snapshot only, or ASA will load the best possible at the time of departure and as I fly, it will upload the shots relevant to the reported weather? To be this is how it supposed to be.

Tom Link

Hi,You or ASA loads one Shapshot only before running FS. Once FS is started you cannot change the textures, and have them show, until you start FS again. The ASA chosen shapshot will be based on the average weather along a processed flight plan.

Guest morpheous
Hi ST,I will assume you mean the Dynamic Rate of Change Slider. It does the exact same thing and over rides the exact slider in FSX; it controls how quickly the weather will change when the data calls for a change. I set mine at 0 because I feel that I get smoother weather transitions that way, especially on my older computer. You should experiment to see which is best for you.This is correct about the snapshots and the good thing is, is that FSX doesn't even need to be running. Do a few more sets for each weather category so that ASA has something to choose from.
I have a question about the "FSX doesn't even need to be running" to take snapshots, how are we suppose to get a screenshot of the weather as the manual suggests in order to see what type of textures we're getting if we don't run FSX each time and take a printscreen image?Morpheous

Hi,For that you would need to run FS. Some know from their texture combination which weather category they are going to assign to the snapshot so they don't need/want the screen shot from FS.