Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

Where are keyboard and joystick assignments?

I want to make some change in keyboard and joystick assignments.I don't see them in the fs.cfg.Is that where they are?If not,how do I back up my current ones?Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Hi,FSX main folder in Standard.XML file. Can be opened with Notepad or Wordpad.

Guest napamule

Wow. You have to learn XML to assign keys or buttons? Why not go to 'Options\Controls\Assignments' and click on middle TAB and assign keyboard and joystick buttons from there. Easier that way, I would believe.Chuck BNapamule

FSX main folder in Standard.XML file. Can be opened with Notepad or Wordpad.
I think the active controls file is in the FSX AppData folder, under Controls\Standard.XML, and the one in the main folder is just default keybindings which are not loaded? I might be wrong though, but I have always changed it in the AppData folder.
Wow. You have to learn XML to assign keys or buttons? Why not go to 'Options\Controls\Assignments' and click on middle TAB and assign keyboard and joystick buttons from there. Easier that way, I would believe.
XML as a language is not very complicated in general, and the way to write the keybindings is quite obvious in the file (at least I think so, but I'm a programmer... :( ). There are many options which you can't set in the options menu, e.g. GEAR_UP and GEAR_DOWN instead of GEAR_TOGGLE, so you can have one key to lower and one key to raise your landing gear.

Guest napamule

Well, now we're getting somewhere. I always wanted to be able to do GEAR_UP and GEAR_DOWN for the LEFT_WHEELS (only) and GEAR_UP AND GEAR_DOWN for RIGHT_WHEELS (only) using 4 buttons. Beats the heck out of using ONE BUTTON, that's for sure (ha). Is this possible? Or real? Or am I dreaming? (If so-somebody wake me up-PLEASE-I can't see my gear from cockpit-and forgot which of the 4 buttons I pressed-HELP! hehe).Chuck BNapamule

Thanks for the responses.I just want to back up the file,not rewrite it.You can use FSUIPC to make gear up and down separate commands.I have it set to a lever on my throttle quad.Ron

Hi,If you are using FSUIPC, then the changes are stored within a FSUIPC file not a FSX file. I believe in the FSUIPC.ini file.

Thanks,I use both.I saved the Standard.XML file and screwed up my mouse view some how.If I hit the space bar it went to mouse yoke and I was all messed up.I deleted one of the keyboard mouse commands that I thought was a dupe.It was mouse view but it had an arrow of sorts in front of it.Long story short I copied the old Standar.xml file back and everything was OK again.I know to save the fsuipc.ini when I want to change things thru there.Ron