Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dolesrus

lost NAV radio ident sounds

My FSX NAV radio ident sounds have gone out recently and I'd very much appreciate suggestions from forum members on possible fixes. The applies to all aircraft I've tested, both defaults and add-ons, with radios properly tuned and clearly receiving, e.g., NAV1 or NAV2 when tracking an ILS or VOR, MKR when the marker beacon lights are flashing for OM and MM, etc. All other sounds appear to be working okay (ATC, environment, flaps, gear, etc.), but for instrument procedures the aural NAV idents are very helpful. My basic setup is Windows 7 64-bit on an I7 and 6 gb RAM. l I've been using these functions fine with a Creative SB X-Fi card in XP, Vista and Windows 7 since late October. Until now FSX has been running without problems To check if it was a sound card failure I uninstalled the SB and drivers and used onboard RealTek drivers with no change in the result. The problem started sometime in the last few weeks, but since I fly a mix of VFR and IFR flights I'm not sure exactly when. I've had a hard time pinning down any specific changes in that period that might have been a cause/contributing factor. Some of the steps I've taken so far are:1) Confirmed that all boxes in the sound settings box were checked, levels set to default values (50%), and confirmed correct sound source.2) Confirmed that relevant .wav files in the root FSX folder Sound were working, e.g., OUTERMK and MIDDMK, by double-clicking on the files.3) Checked and confirmed that similar sounds were playing okay in FS9.Results 2) and 3) suggest to me that the problem is likely FSX-specific (sounds also play fine with Itunes, etc.). However, as mentioned above I uninstalled the SB card and got the same result with the onboard sound . A few other steps I tried:4) rebuilt the fsx.cfg file5) reinstalled latest directX (August 2009). No problems noted in dxdiag.6) uninstalled and reinstalled sound card drivers, and confirmed that only one source was enabled at any time. No IRQ conflicts are showing up in device manager.7) checked for similar settings in FSX and FS9 aircraft sound.cfg files. These appear to be identical on a couple of the aircraft I checked. It does not seem to be single add-on related as the missing .wav sounds are all located in the root Sound folder and the problem seems to affect all aircraft.I've tried a few other things, but am beginning to wander into areas beyond my expertise (.dll, .xml or other relevant files). The final option, of course, is to uninstall FSX and do a clean reinstall, and hope that his works. But with the number of aircraft and scenery files I have - and the fact that FSX is otherwise working fine - I thought I'd check first to see if anyone has encountered of aware of such a selective sound fault with the NAV radios and come up with a possible solution. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I didn't see any reference to the positions of the nav audio switches.Start FSX with the default Beech 350 King Air. Open the radio subpanel (SHIFT-2) and switch on all of the nav radio audio switches in the upper-right quad of the panel. Verify that it works there, then switch to the acft you want to fly. The idents only play every 40 sec, so you should wait that long to see if the ident plays.I suspect the nav audio switches are turned off in your default flight and that's carrying over when you start your flights.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

I didn't see any reference to the positions of the nav audio switches.Start FSX with the default Beech 350 King Air. Open the radio subpanel (SHIFT-2) and switch on all of the nav radio audio switches in the upper-right quad of the panel. Verify that it works there, then switch to the acft you want to fly. The idents only play every 40 sec, so you should wait that long to see if the ident plays.I suspect the nav audio switches are turned off in your default flight and that's carrying over when you start your flights.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO
Thanks, Bob - I've greatly appreciated the expert advice that you, Nick and others have been giving over the years. I should have mentioned that I've tried all variations from one on to all radio audio switches on (lights illuminated). I did follow your suggestion and fired up the default Beech 350 King Air and switched all the nav radio audio switches to on (up). Tried a test at KDEN, set NAV1 to the 34L localizer (111.9) and NAV2 to DVV (117.9). Took off, flew the departure and downwind leg and heard no audio signal so switched to the default C172. Confirmed that all audio switches were still on and flew past the 34L OM and then back on the approach to 34L (172s not great at KDEN with traffic on, but that's another story). Flew the approach to landing but still no audio on NAV1, 2, or MKR. During the flight I was getting DME to DVV and tracking the ILS inbound. Marker lights illuminated when crossing the markers as they should, but no audio. I've flown a lot of instrument approaches in FS9, FSX (and real life), and panel set up looks okay, but I appreciate the suggestion and well worth double-checking. Another thing that I should have mentioned is that I'm flying FSX with SP2 and Acceleration - again, nothing new there that would have changed in the past few weeks. I use the default Mooney in set up, but generally shift to other aircraft for flights. Again, thanks for the suggestion and best wishes for the new year -

Problem resolved, perhaps the long way but this may be useful for someone in the future. I decided to reinstall FSX, but the first test after reinstall still did not give nav audio sounds. Checking the Sound settings again, I opened the Windows default sound folder to see the speaker set up. The default device was SB-X-Fi and speaker set up was 5.1, which is my configuration, although I generally use headphones with FSX (along with the usual option of enabling headphones and disabling speakers when headphones are sensed). As a test, I switched the configuration from 5.1 surround sound to Stereo. The Nav audio sounds returned, and I suspect that other sounds are improved s well, although I've yet to do much extensive testing. My guess (only that) is that the Nav sounds play through a central channel that doesn't work with the headphone set up {at least mine). The mild puzzle is why the same .wav sounds played for FS9 but not FSX - this is what initially led me down a separate track. I can only conjecture that sounds are somehow handled a bit differently between FS9 than FSX, so direct comparisons of this sort may not work. Those that are more expert than I might provide a proper explanation. But to summarize, the problem was missing Nav audio sounds with FSX - at least using headphones. Solution steps:1) Open Windows control panel, click on Hardware and Sound (or similar in other Windows versions).2) Open Sound panel, click on Speakesr and then on Configure.3) Set Audio channels to Stereo, and confirm sounds on both sides by clicking Test.4) Click Next a couple of times to apply settings and finish.In retrospect, I'm pretty sure if I'd taken these steps a reinstall could have been avoided. It may apply to similar sound problems, so may be worth a try if other steps have failed.

Thanks for posting your findings (and for the kind remarks)...I'm sure someone else is going to run into this as 5.1 systems are getting more common.I wonder if the sounds in question are not encoded in stereo, and therefore ended up on the center channel (which doesn't exist on a pair of stereo headphones.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

No problem, my pleasure. I think that what you've suggested is a possibility. The broader lesson I've taken from this is a point that you and Nick have emphasized often. In this case, there was nothing really "wrong" with the hardware or, for that matter, FSX. Rather, the problem stemmed from certain settings that led to a non-optimal interaction. This reinforces the point that care must be taken to ensure that the hardware and FSX are properly set up to work together. To do this well takes knowledge of both hardware and how the FSX code works. You and other experts on the forum have been of great help in providing this knowledge to our community. My thanks -