Sign in to follow this  

FSNav Compatibility with SimFlyers Airports?

When updating the FSNAV database, I have discovered the following:KJFK, EDDF, CYYZ, and KLAX Simflyers will not update. When any of these airports are checked for updates, "FSNavDBC.exe locks up when any of these airports appear.KPHL, KIAD, KMCO, KATL, KDFW, EGCC, KEWR and KLAS Simflyers update fine with no problem.Is this because the problem airports are not in the database, or does anybody have any ideas applicable to this problem?Thanks:RTH

Hi,Your computer is probably not actually locked. I thought the same thing but then read somewhere that FS Nav takes a long,long time to read the BGL files with some of the Simflyers sceneries. Just let your computer do it's thing and go and do something else while you are waiting. It may take 30 minutes or so from memory depending on the speed of your processor.RegardsAussie

Hi, I don't have the Simflyer airports you mention, but in case you haven't done so, maybe d'loading the fsnavdbc update might help. The fsnavdbc.exe version I'm using is dated Jan 8th 2003 and it helped when I had trouble adding a freeware scenery.Just an idea, Peter

Guest CargoMun

Thats good advise i'll try that one. Until now i've only had a real problem with KJFK wich I gave up on after it stood around for 30-40 minutes and then "appication doesnt respond" message came up.EDDF also took an awful lot of time but until now thats the only 2 ive seen taken a long time to build the database for and i have most of those others mentioned above.Still though you can just unckeck the ones in question and build database then check them again afterwards :)

Thank You.You are 100% correct. I was just too impatient.It took about 2 hours on my system (AMD1.2 @512 Mem) to compile KJFK, and about another 30 mins. for the rest of the airports. It is a bit puzzling as to who demands time, and who does not. I was blameing it on the Gmax format of KJFK, but KLAS downloads rather quickly and it is the same format. EDDF takes a little while (estimate 15-20 mins.) and it is the old format. All the rest only take a few seconds to no more than a couple of minutes.One other question relative to Peter's recommendation. I had already updated my database. The file you recommend, "fsnavdbc.zip" surely does include a database update, but if I am not mistaken the primary purpose for this update was a bugfix for German airports.There are several sites available for database updates, and I have always wondered which was the most up to date. Unless I am mistaken, they all represent updated "AIRAC Cycles".For example, the one given above (fsnavdbc.zip")is on the fsnav.com site, undated. Size is 212KB. From the relative size, I wonder if this only includes the German airports?also on the fsnav.com site file which I have assumed was the most up to date is the "airspace.zip" file. It is numbered 0212, also numbered 02/12 in another place. I don't know whether this is representative of Febuary the second (assumed to be 2003 if it is) or not. Size is 826KB, a bit larger than the former file.The NAVData.at/site also lists several choices for downloads applicable to variable programs (fsnav, squawkbox, dfb737 etc.) Their updated file is "FSNAV_all_304.zip" (for the fsnav choice) It is dated as April 22, 2003 and has a size of 5,434KB, considerably larger than the former two choices for download. I would have assumed that this file was not just an update, but included the total package.If one goes by size, the NAVData site would be preferred.If one goes by date, it might or might not be the fsnav airspace choice.Does anybody know if all of these are essentially the same, it is a turkey shoot, or if there is one choice which supplies a more update database than the others?Again thanks for your help.RTH

The file fsnavdbc.zip contains just a readme and an updated fsnavdbc.exe program. Although this fixed version originally addressed a problem with Germain Airports sceneries, it has helped me in scanning/adding other sceneries as well. (Sceneries, where fsnavdbc.exe previously would hang or not gather all information.)The way I understand it, a "database update" is done by executing fsnavdbc.exe, as you have done correctly. Fsnavdbc reads the base FS files as well as the .bgl files of addon sceneries for VOR, NDB, ILS, runway, parking positions, tower, etc. data. It also includes additional data contained within text files in your fsnav bin folder. Richard of navdata.at continually offers updates for two of these text files for airways and intersections (airway.txt and isec.txt) based on the DAFIF AIRAC cycles. Airspace.zip on the FSNavigator site offers an update for airspace.txt based on the Dec 2002 (yymm=0212) AIRAC cycle.Long story short: it's mix and match the ingredients. It is [/b]you[/b] who builds/generates the complete "database update" by executing the fsnavdbc.exe program.Peter