Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ClausKludder

Problems with Nav Lights ( FSX Mdl )

onground.jpginair.jpgI have a problem with the nav lights on My mdl ( Made in Gmax FSX Gamepack with attached nav lights on moving wings / wingflex ) The Mdl is is in 2 parts ( Interior and Exterior ) and with lights attached to animated parts on the exterior model. I made custom properties ( Generel Lights ) on all lights as done in Max7 or 8 ) But here in Gmax 1.2/FSX Gamepack, just typed the properties manually. The lights on the wings ( Nav and Strobe ) is proberly linked to the animated wing mesh, and is rendered as it should both in SpotView and from Virtual Cockpit on the ground.The problem is as soon as Im in the air ( Shortly after take off, the lights are suddenly visible through all meshes. If I open the door in air, I see the effekts visible through the door also when passing over the lights. The lights are still proberly and correckt linked at its correct place on the wing, and from spotview everythings looks normal.I tried everything past days - All Transforms and resets in Gmax is done, wing is in opaque material with diffuse and selfillumination textures/materials. Tried both with and without alphas for slightly reflextion - does'nt makes any difference. Also tried make both interior and exterior wingmesh 2 sided polys, nothing helps. A few seconds after take off Lights are visible through all kind of meshes and materials seen from VC. To Me it seems like a bug in FSX ( I have FSX SP2 and windows7 with Dx11, both only VGA Dx9 suported ) Only solution left I think might be changing the effects ( Write new ones ) or move the lights from their correct position to somewhere out and up from the wing ( This would look stupid )Anyone have seen this problem and have a solution?Kindly regardClaus

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Heres the custom properties added to the Nav Lights ( Copied from FSX SDk Sample DC-3 );Mass = 0.000000Ellasticity = 0.300000Friction = 0.300000Optimization_Level = 0.500000Unyielding = 0Simulation_Geometry = 2Proxy_Geometry = <none>Use_Display_Proxy = 0Display_Children = 1Disable_Collisions = 0Inactive = 0Display_Proxy = <none>FSXML = <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> <FSMakeMdlData version="9.0"> <Attachpoint name="attachpt_navred_0"> <AttachedObject> <Effect effectName="fx_navred" effectParams=""/> </AttachedObject> </Attachpoint> <Visibility name="general_light"> </Visibility> </FSMakeMdlData>Perhaps <Visibility name="Nav_light"> is a valid entry? Could not find any in SDK, but it does not exists in Max8 Ace Tools... I could offcause just try it, but Im little tired testing right now ;-)

For FSX modeling, make sure that you have attached lights ONLY in the exterior model. They should NOT be included in the interior model (they would be ignored anyway!).Misplacement of attached .fx lighting in the interior model is usually the result of the x,y,z positions not being precisely the same. I discovered this while working on the CJ1+ v2.0's lighting system. Even though the interior model was essentially a stripped-down clone of the exterior model, the positions of the exterior model's attached .fx lights did NOT line up properly. I had to shift the entire interior model's parts to the rear about 2m and then adjust the aircraft.cfg file's eyepoint to the rear the same amount to get everything to line up correctly... :( general_light is a catch all that really is equivalent to landing lights, which is honestly totally useless! :( The original modeldef.xml that was included with SDK1a has only that one entry for "lighting." SDK2 and Acceleration SDK has entries for all lights......however even then they are somewhat incomplete, since they will not extinguish even when the master battery switch is OFF! :( Here are entries for ALL lights that you can add to your modeldef.xml file. With these added, you would use light_nav_vis for the Visibility tag using the Attachpoint Tool. Note that each entry checks both for the light's switch state as well as whether the master battery switch is ON:

<!-- exterior and interior lights -->  <PartInfo>	<Name>light_battery_vis</Name>	<Visibility>	  <Parameter>		<Sim>		  <Variable>ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY</Variable>		  <Units>bool</Units>		</Sim>	  </Parameter>	</Visibility>  </PartInfo>  <PartInfo>	<Name>light_batteryOFF_vis</Name>	<Visibility>	  <Parameter>		<Code>		  (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool) 0 ==		</Code>	  </Parameter>	</Visibility>  </PartInfo>  <PartInfo>	<Name>light_panel_vis</Name>	<Visibility>	  <Parameter>		<Code>		  (A:LIGHT PANEL,bool)		  (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool)		  and		</Code>	  </Parameter>	</Visibility>  </PartInfo>  <PartInfo>	<Name>light_panelOFF_vis</Name>	<Visibility>	  <Parameter>		<Code>		  (A:LIGHT PANEL,bool) 0 ==		  (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool) 0 ==		  or		</Code>	  </Parameter>	</Visibility>  </PartInfo>  <PartInfo>	<Name>light_strobe_vis</Name>	<Visibility>	  <Parameter>		<Code>		  (A:LIGHT STROBE,bool)		  (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool)		  and		</Code>	  </Parameter>	</Visibility>  </PartInfo>  <PartInfo>	<Name>light_landing_vis</Name>	<Visibility>	  <Parameter>		<Code>		  (A:LIGHT LANDING,bool)		  (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool)		  and		</Code>	  </Parameter>	</Visibility>  </PartInfo>  <PartInfo>	<Name>light_taxi_vis</Name>	<Visibility>	  <Parameter>		<Code>		  (A:LIGHT TAXI,bool)		  (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool)		  and		</Code>	  </Parameter>	</Visibility>  </PartInfo>  <PartInfo>	<Name>light_beacon_vis</Name>	<Visibility>	  <Parameter>		<Code>		  (A:LIGHT BEACON,bool)		  (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool)		  and		</Code>	  </Parameter>	</Visibility>  </PartInfo>  <PartInfo>	<Name>light_nav_vis</Name>	<Visibility>	  <Parameter>		<Code>		  (A:LIGHT NAV,bool)		  (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool)		  and		</Code>	  </Parameter>	</Visibility>  </PartInfo>  <PartInfo>	<Name>light_logo_vis</Name>	<Visibility>	  <Parameter>		<Code>		  (A:LIGHT LOGO,bool)		  (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool)		  and		</Code>	  </Parameter>	</Visibility>  </PartInfo>  <PartInfo>	<Name>light_logo_invis</Name>	<Visibility>	  <Parameter>		<Code>		  (A:LIGHT LOGO,bool) !		</Code>	  </Parameter>	</Visibility>  </PartInfo>  <PartInfo>	<Name>light_wing_vis</Name>	<Visibility>	  <Parameter>		<Code>		  (A:LIGHT WING,bool)		  (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool)		  and		</Code>	  </Parameter>	</Visibility>  </PartInfo>  <PartInfo>	<Name>light_recog_vis</Name>	<Visibility>	  <Parameter>		<Code>		  (A:LIGHT RECOGNITION,bool)		  (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool)		  and		</Code>	  </Parameter>	</Visibility>  </PartInfo>  <PartInfo>	<Name>light_cabin_vis</Name>	<Visibility>	  <Parameter>		<Code>		  (A:LIGHT CABIN,bool)		  (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool)		  and		</Code>	  </Parameter>	</Visibility>  </PartInfo>  <!-- end exterior and interior lights -->

Hey there :-)Thanks a lot - Especially for the codes. I did actually found this My self to night. Using the Attach Tool, and "Visibility" checkbox, You get a roll out with the "Tags". So I added theese individual properties to all the lights, and now it is possible to turn off them individually in My VC with custom xml gauges and mouse react. Also added "Visibility" tags to Props and tires meshes as well now. I also only have the attached lights on the exterior model as well. Alspo all My lights exept the VC Lights is attached lights to the exterior model. The VC Light I just added in Aircraft.cfgBut the problem still remains ( The nav lights are proberly linked to the wing with animated wingflex ) The nav lights will shortly after take off be visible through all meshes seen from the VC. From the pilots seat ( Default VC View left side of cockpit ) its the green nav light on the right wing wich suddenly is visible through the wing mesh, even its only the glow of it wich schould be visible. The Red nav light on the left wing is then all invisible from pilots seat. Its the oposite situation from right seat.To me it seems like the effekt files Blend properties or priority perhaps is the problem, or perhaps something els with the effekt files or the texture used by the effekt. Anyhow it seems like the effekt is prioritied higher than the mesh its linked to ( The wing ) when rendered in the air. On ground all is as it should be...If this is a BUG in FSX SP2 or Windows7, I need to create the Nav Lights somehow els, perhaps as an animation on a texture - I dont know right now. But as Im going to release this Aircraft ( Piper PA140 with VC ) as a Payware aircraft once its finnished, this kind of BUG is NOT acceptable...I need a workaround on this, to priority the wing mesh in the interior model higher than the nav light effect linked to the exterior model, "in the VC view". In spot view the exterior model is perfect :-)Kindly regardsClaus