Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest KG64_Cnopicilin

Effects problem

I have all of my effects as black boxes. For example I see black boxes oming from the engines, wingtips and so on. I have ATI GPU and my comp is enough powerful to run this game. Trust me. Do I lack some effect files? Thanks in advance.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have all of my effects as black boxes. For example I see black boxes oming from the engines, wingtips and so on. I have ATI GPU and my comp is enough powerful to run this game. Trust me. Do I lack some effect files? Thanks in advance.
We need some more info on your hardware and settings.Is this a recent problem or have you loaded any addons?Ron

Perhaps this link will help: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=65089. Sounds like you're missing a couple of bmp files from your effects folder. Best regards,Jim

Hey! I only have fx_2 and fx_5, not fx_1 or fx_3 or fx_4. Can someone send 'em to me?

Hey! I only have fx_2 and fx_5, not fx_1 or fx_3 or fx_4. Can someone send 'em to me?
That's what I thought! It happened to me recently too. Some scenery program is overwriting and deleting files in your effects folder. Your best solution is to do a repair by reinserting your fsx disks. I have since backed up by effects folder as I'm tired of doing repairs. Best regards,Jim

I copied the effect files from my dad. Thank you!
As Jim says this has happened to me not once but twice recently. As I didn't notice immediately it was impossible to track it back a to a particular aircraft (I've installed no new scenery recently), but I keep a complete spare, fresh installation of FSX on a backup drive so with a quick copy'n'paste I was back in business - in my case it was the contents of the Effects/Texture file that had been affected. It's a really good idea to keep a backup of key folders as the repair method is a bit long-winded and clunky.