Sign in to follow this  
BobP

Customized Buttons..

Is it possible to assign a key sequence to a joystick. I want to assign a key sequence (shift ') to a joystick button. I searched the X-Plane.Org forum without any results. Thanks in advance.Bob..

Guest Setanta
Is it possible to assign a key sequence to a joystick. I want to assign a key sequence (shift ') to a joystick button. I searched the X-Plane.Org forum without any results. Thanks in advance.Bob..
Not as far as I know. That said I'm sure that in many cases you could probably do this with the joystick driver software on PC rather than within X-plane (if you're on a PC of course). However, I'd be interested to know why you would want to do this. I'm guessing that you want it to trigger something within X-Plane, in which case you would be better to trigger it directly using the inbuilt settings (Buttons Basic/Advanced).That said it wouldn't be hard for someone to write a plugin to simulate a keypress.Setanta

I think that's not possible inside X-Plane, but most sim functions can be assigned to specific joystick buttons. So you could map the function associated with (shift ') to a joystick button inside the assignment screen.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I think that's not possible inside X-Plane, but most sim functions can be assigned to specific joystick buttons. So you could map the function associated with (shift ') to a joystick button inside the assignment screen.Marco
Thanks Marco. I don't understand the last sentence. (how to do that).Bob..
Not as far as I know. That said I'm sure that in many cases you could probably do this with the joystick driver software on PC rather than within X-plane (if you're on a PC of course). However, I'd be interested to know why you would want to do this. I'm guessing that you want it to trigger something within X-Plane, in which case you would be better to trigger it directly using the inbuilt settings (Buttons Basic/Advanced).That said it wouldn't be hard for someone to write a plugin to simulate a keypress.Setanta
The reason is I have the RXP Garmin 530. It's a plugin which has it's own custom key commands. The key sequence [shift + '] will toggle the Garmin display on or off. Since I use it often I want to have a singe joystick button assigned to togle the display. Thanks.Bob.. :)

Guest Setanta
Thanks Marco. I don't understand the last sentence. (how to do that).Bob..The reason is I have the RXP Garmin 530. It's a plugin which has it's own custom key commands. The key sequence [shift + '] will toggle the Garmin display on or off. Since I use it often I want to have a singe joystick button assigned to togle the display. Thanks.Bob.. :)
In the words of Alan Partridge - Aha!I don't have this so I can't give any specific help but what would usually happen within X-Plane is that the plugin will publish a custom command within X-Plane. You should be able to find it somewhere under<Joystick Keys & Equipment/Buttons:Adv>. If it's there you can assign it to a joystick button as you normally would. If they haven't done this then you may be down to trying to work with your joystick software - often it will let you assign keystrokes to buttons.Setanta