Sign in to follow this  
Cloud9

Any joysticks that work with Win 7 64-bit?

Hello virtual pilots,I just installed FSX and the two service packs on my computer. I had purchased FSX Deluxe in 2006 but it was too harsh for my computer back then. I decided to wait a few years until I could upgrade my computer. Now that I have FSX installed on a new machine, could someone tell me what joystick(s) actually work with FSX and Windows 7 64-bit?I still have my MS Sidewinder force feedback 2, but, alas, the X/Y axis don't work. Everything else on the joystick seem to work. Also, I've read some posts about the bufferpool settings. Which cfg file (and where is it) do I find this setting? I wonder why recommended tweaks for FSX are not pinned to the FSX Forum? I couldn't find any except those for FS9. Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.thanks a bunch,DavidSystem:Intel i5-750 @3.2GHzCorsair DDR3 2x2GB @ 1526MHzCorsair 650HX PSURadeon 4850 1GB DDR3 @2066MHz, GPU@665MHz500 GB x2 SATA3.0 WD Caviar Black, Raid 096KHz/24-bit Dolby PLII 5.1 surround system Sony XBR4 40" @1920x1080Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Hello virtual pilots,I just installed FSX and the two service packs on my computer. I had purchased FSX Deluxe in 2006 but it was too harsh for my computer back then. I decided to wait a few years until I could upgrade my computer. Now that I have FSX installed on a new machine, could someone tell me what joystick(s) actually work with FSX and Windows 7 64-bit?I still have my MS Sidewinder force feedback 2, but, alas, the X/Y axis don't work. Everything else on the joystick seem to work. Also, I've read some posts about the bufferpool settings. Which cfg file (and where is it) do I find this setting? I wonder why recommended tweaks for FSX are not pinned to the FSX Forum? I couldn't find any except those for FS9. Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.thanks a bunch,DavidSystem:Intel i5-750 @3.2GHzCorsair DDR3 2x2GB @ 1526MHzCorsair 650HX PSURadeon 4850 1GB DDR3 @2066MHz, GPU@665MHz500 GB x2 SATA3.0 WD Caviar Black, Raid 096KHz/24-bit Dolby PLII 5.1 surround system Sony XBR4 40" @1920x1080Windows 7 64 Ultimate
HelloSaitek x52 or even better saitek x52pro, which is what l use. Had no problems.Bigcav

I still have my MS Sidewinder force feedback 2, but, alas, the X/Y axis don't work. Everything else on the joystick seem to work. Also, I've read some posts about the bufferpool settings. Which cfg file (and where is it) do I find this setting? I wonder why recommended tweaks for FSX are not pinned to the FSX Forum? I couldn't find any except those for FS9. Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.
G'day David,Ah, the good old MS Sidewinder ForceFeedback 2. Apparently they are still legendary in the world of joysticks! (Have a look on some FS forums / hardware reviews and they'll tell you.) I use mine on my Win 7 x64. I fly helicopters and stick-based fixed wings with it.I'm confused by your statement so I have to ask: was it working properly before you tried it on your Win 7 system? Try it on another system, such as one with Vista on (no external drivers needed - it's natively supported by Vista and Win7).Hope you don't have to go about the expense of a new one. But if you do, I support bigcav's recommendation of the Saitek X52 Pro.As for the recommended tweaks, I don't think they can be pinned, since there are so many variations and no hard and fast ones that everybody can agree on. But, Nick N's FSX Tweaking Guide has the support of an awful lot of us. :( Cheers,

G'day David,Ah, the good old MS Sidewinder ForceFeedback 2. Apparently they are still legendary in the world of joysticks! (Have a look on some FS forums / hardware reviews and they'll tell you.) I use mine on my Win 7 x64. I fly helicopters and stick-based fixed wings with it.I'm confused by your statement so I have to ask: was it working properly before you tried it on your Win 7 system? Try it on another system, such as one with Vista on (no external drivers needed - it's natively supported by Vista and Win7).Hope you don't have to go about the expense of a new one. But if you do, I support bigcav's recommendation of the Saitek X52 Pro.As for the recommended tweaks, I don't think they can be pinned, since there are so many variations and no hard and fast ones that everybody can agree on. But, Nick N's FSX Tweaking Guide has the support of an awful lot of us. :( Cheers,
Hi Owi,My sidewinder FF2 worked with FS9 and Win XP Pro 32-bit. But now, I can't control the plane other than rudder; so the X and Y axis don't work with FSX in Win 7 64-bit. What did you do to get your FF2 stick to work in FSX on Win 7?Thanks,David

Hi Owi,My sidewinder FF2 worked with FS9 and Win XP Pro 32-bit. But now, I can't control the plane other than rudder; so the X and Y axis don't work with FSX in Win 7 64-bit. What did you do to get your FF2 stick to work in FSX on Win 7?Thanks,David
Hey David,I just plugged it in, let Windows do it's driver installation and then proceeded into Windows' configuration/setup utility - found in Control Panel under "Game Controllers" - and calibrated it. Finally, I checked the controller's assignments in FSX. No worries.Have you checked that UAC is not interfering with it? Are you logged in as an Administrator?Maybe your Windows had an error while trying to install it (you did have the AC power plugged in first, right?). What I'd do is try it in another USB port. Failing that, I'd remove the device/driver using Device Manager while it's still connected; then reconnect it and let it try again.Good luck.

Hey David,I just plugged it in, let Windows do it's driver installation and then proceeded into Windows' configuration/setup utility - found in Control Panel under "Game Controllers" - and calibrated it. Finally, I checked the controller's assignments in FSX. No worries.Have you checked that UAC is not interfering with it? Are you logged in as an Administrator?Maybe your Windows had an error while trying to install it (you did have the AC power plugged in first, right?). What I'd do is try it in another USB port. Failing that, I'd remove the device/driver using Device Manager while it's still connected; then reconnect it and let it try again.Good luck.
Today, I tried again and my FF2 works now. The only thing I can think of is that my computer needed a reboot. The sidewinder X/Y axis work now.cheers!

Today, I tried again and my FF2 works now. The only thing I can think of is that my computer needed a reboot. The sidewinder X/Y axis work now.cheers!
Oh, jolly good! May the Force (feedback) be with you. :( Thanks for reporting back.