Sign in to follow this  
Forkboy2

Is an LCD Monitor good for Flight Sims?

I'm thinking of moving to an LCD monitor but seem to recall some comments that they were not too good for flight sims. Will appreciate opinions and experience with them. Is there a good LCD to recommend?Thanks in advance

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Dave,I have a Sony 18" LCD, and am very happy with it. I'm feeding it a digital signal from my video card (9800 pro)DVI output, and the resolution is capped at 1280*1024 in that mode, but that's OK for me.For me, the lack of a convex screen (as was my old CRT) gave a much deeper 3D appearance to FS, but that's subjective, of course :).Bruce.

I have a View sonic Vp211b 21" LCD monitor (21.3" viewable) 1600x1200 60Hz resolution in native mode. I really like it, much easier on the eyes. The response time is 25ms pretty good for a large monitor, but the lowest I could find. Of course a CRT is still better for Flight Simulator, but the LCD is getting close in my opinion. With the LCD you will get a little flickering of some instruments using ActiveCamera in VC mode and some flickering of scenery under some circumstances (I think this happens with some CRT's also). If you have a good Video card you can use the digital video conection. I think the trade off between the CRT and LCD is acceptable for all the other benefits you get with an LCD. I will be getting another LCD when they lower the response times on larger LCD monitors again. I have been using the various flight simulators for almost 20 years and in my opinion I made the right decision.Monty

I just bought two NEC 18" LCD's to replace an aging 17" and a cheap 19" CRTs. The LCDs are much easier on the eyes and I haven't noticed any problems with MSFS.Matt