Sign in to follow this  
Guest BeaverDriver

C185 Wheels - Last Official Update

Guest BeaverDriver

I thought perhaps Carenado might make an announcement, but if you downloaded the last patch before today, go get it again. That has the latest updates.At this point, unless something really startling comes along, that is the last official patch/cfg update for the wheeled aircraft, at least that I can do. Carenado may wish to make further updates for anything found not working, but insofar as the actual flight parameters as a whole go, it's pretty much good to go. If I find anything in my travels that further enhances things, I'll post the adjustments here, but it will be up to you folks to install them yourselves (easy - you just need Wordpad which comes with Windows). The patch will be on Carenado's site if you want to download it again today. Have fun guys and girls, and thanks for the helpful hints and inputs. Hopefully I can get the guide uploaded tonight. I'll post here as soon as it's ready.

I thought perhaps Carenado might make an announcement, but if you downloaded the last patch before today, go get it again. That has the latest updates.At this point, unless something really startling comes along, that is the last official patch/cfg update for the wheeled aircraft, at least that I can do. Carenado may wish to make further updates for anything found not working, but insofar as the actual flight parameters as a whole go, it's pretty much good to go. If I find anything in my travels that further enhances things, I'll post the adjustments here, but it will be up to you folks to install them yourselves (easy - you just need Wordpad which comes with Windows). The patch will be on Carenado's site if you want to download it again today. Have fun guys and girls, and thanks for the helpful hints and inputs. Hopefully I can get the guide uploaded tonight. I'll post here as soon as it's ready.
Does this fix the catapult start?

Guest BeaverDriver
Does this fix the catapult start?
Don't know since I don't know what's causing it. See the other thread I just replied to, but we do need to get this fixed and fast. Check the other thread you reported this in.

Hm, I'm sorry, but things don't look finished yet.... It's mainly the fuel flow again. It's better than yesterday, but it still acts weird. With full mixture during flight fuel flow is below 14, when you start to lean ff goes up and then goes down again. Biggest problem is that in order to keep some power, I have to 'lean' the mixture so it is using more fuel (something like 15,5), otherwise I lose too much power, but even with that setting, cruisespeeds refuses to go over 150... while I am used to getting 165 without problems... Meanwhile the EGT gauge doesn't look right with the various fuel flow readings and it's rather useless for leaning well...Together with the awful panel edit (between the radio's), which still isn't fixed (for those who don't know how to fix this) I get the feeling this plane and the various patches have been released too soon...I am going back to the C182RG until things are fixed and the C185F works as it should.EDIT:BTW I am not blaming you, BeaverDriver, for any of this, let that be clear!!! :( Your efforts are much appreciated. But the plane should have been better right from the start...

Hm, I'm sorry, but things don't look finished yet.... It's mainly the fuel flow again. It's better than yesterday, but it still acts weird. With full mixture during flight fuel flow is below 14, when you start to lean ff goes up and then goes down again. Biggest problem is that in order to keep some power, I have to 'lean' the mixture so it is using more fuel (something like 15,5), otherwise I lose too much power, but even with that setting, cruisespeeds refuses to go over 150... while I am used to getting 165 without problems... Meanwhile the EGT gauge doesn't look right with the various fuel flow readings and it's rather useless for leaning well...Together with the awful panel edit (between the radio's), which still isn't fixed (for those who don't know how to fix this) I get the feeling this plane and the various patches have been released too soon...I am going back to the C182RG until things are fixed and the C185F works as it should.
When you lean the fuel flow should rise as the fuel to air ratio in the engine normalises. When it drops that's your "sweet spot".

Guest BeaverDriver
Hm, I'm sorry, but things don't look finished yet.... It's mainly the fuel flow again. It's better than yesterday, but it still acts weird. With full mixture during flight fuel flow is below 14, when you start to lean ff goes up and then goes down again. Biggest problem is that in order to keep some power, I have to 'lean' the mixture so it is using more fuel (something like 15,5), otherwise I lose too much power, but even with that setting, cruisespeeds refuses to go over 150... while I am used to getting 165 without problems... Meanwhile the EGT gauge doesn't look right with the various fuel flow readings and it's rather useless for leaning well...Together with the awful panel edit (between the radio's), which still isn't fixed (for those who don't know how to fix this) I get the feeling this plane and the various patches have been released too soon...I am going back to the C182RG until things are fixed and the C185F works as it should.EDIT:BTW I am not blaming you, BeaverDriver, for any of this, let that be clear!!! :( Your efforts are much appreciated. But the plane should have been better right from the start...
OK, I rather agree about the fuel flow issue. It shouldn't act like an EGT. Now I always saw some "waggle" in the real thing, but as soon as I started unwinding the vernier knob, the mixture did come back. Trouble is, I can't adjust that much myself, only what the end result is. That's something Carenado would have to do as that's right in the programming.Now, on the cruise speeds, please see my other thread about "real world realities" vs book values, but at the same time I don't want to dismiss what you are seeing. Typically I never saw much over 150 in the real wheeled plane. So, can I ask you, what altitude and what power settings were you using, and also, what was your total weight at that point? I'll see if we can get you a bit closer.

OK, I rather agree about the fuel flow issue. It shouldn't act like an EGT. Now I always saw some "waggle" in the real thing, but as soon as I started unwinding the vernier knob, the mixture did come back. Trouble is, I can't adjust that much myself, only what the end result is. That's something Carenado would have to do as that's right in the programming.Now, on the cruise speeds, please see my other thread about "real world realities" vs book values, but at the same time I don't want to dismiss what you are seeing. Typically I never saw much over 150 in the real wheeled plane. So, can I ask you, what altitude and what power settings were you using, and also, what was your total weight at that point? I'll see if we can get you a bit closer.
:( Er.... about the speed... I forgot I had other weather loaded... I went back to my usual weather and speed is almost around 158, so that's quite okay (though I seem to remember it was faster before, but well). Sorry for that...! :( Until things are completely fixed, I guess I have to use the Fuel flow gauge as EGT... :( Anyway, after a few minutes with the C182RG, I am back to the C185F now... awaiting your guide for enhanced pleasure... B)

Guest BeaverDriver
:( Er.... about the speed... I forgot I had other weather loaded... I went back to my usual weather and speed is almost around 158, so that's quite okay (though I seem to remember it was faster before, but well). Sorry for that...! :( Until things are completely fixed, I guess I have to use the Fuel flow gauge as EGT... :( Anyway, after a few minutes with the C182RG, I am back to the C185F now... awaiting your guide for enhanced pleasure... B)
No sweat, although weather shouldn't make too much difference until you get up fairly high. Cruise power up to about 5,000 feet is generally about 23 squared, or equivalent (i.e. 23"/2300, 22"/2400). Temperature will make the biggest difference, but a head or tailwind will only affect your ground speed, not your airspeed. If you want to pursue this a bit, I'm happy to discuss it with you further B)