Sign in to follow this  
Guest twsbbl

Question for Oceanic captains and controllers

Guest twsbbl

I have begun to fly across the ponds, and after several round trips KSFO/EGLL, have decided to travel to Sydney. I know next to nothing about trans-oceanic routing, and I generally use routes I find on simroutes.com, as they appear to be pretty close to real world routes, if not spot on in many cases (NA Domestic anyway). The route in their database for KSFO>YSSY has a particular leg that puzzles me however.This is the route in question. (simroutes.com link)Notice that as you cross TESAR, you are making a better than 90 degree left turn to the South East back to 15W73. This seems to me a 560NM detour adding over an hour to the enroute time. I will leave it in the plan for tonight's flight, as fuel is free and time isn't an issue. In the interest of keeping it real however, I'd like to know if this is an error, or if there is a reason for this leg.. perhaps to get me close to American Samoa in case I need to make an unscheduled stop.. in which case why not direct 15W73 from CUFFY? Thanks in advance for helping me understand this a little better.Tim Stewart

Hey Tim that looks well like an error to me and also an invalid flight plan....maybe this one can help you. It's todays real world fp for a United 747.GAPP3 SFO CINNY A220 MAFIC 31N130W 25N134W 20N137W 15N141W 10N145W 05N150W QUIGG 03S160W 08S165W LAKER 17S175W 21S180E DOLSI B450 LHI UH258 SHARK MARLN EnjoyScott

I have begun to fly across the ponds, and after several round trips KSFO/EGLL, have decided to travel to Sydney. I know next to nothing about trans-oceanic routing, and I generally use routes I find on simroutes.com, as they appear to be pretty close to real world routes, if not spot on in many cases (NA Domestic anyway). The route in their database for KSFO>YSSY has a particular leg that puzzles me however.This is the route in question. (simroutes.com link)Notice that as you cross TESAR, you are making a better than 90 degree left turn to the South East back to 15W73. This seems to me a 560NM detour adding over an hour to the enroute time. I will leave it in the plan for tonight's flight, as fuel is free and time isn't an issue. In the interest of keeping it real however, I'd like to know if this is an error, or if there is a reason for this leg.. perhaps to get me close to American Samoa in case I need to make an unscheduled stop.. in which case why not direct 15W73 from CUFFY? Thanks in advance for helping me understand this a little better.Tim Stewart
It could be a typo and should be 15S73CheersRussell Jourdain

If your flying routes that are real world ones, go to flightaware (google it), go under pilot resources and select recently used ifr routes. Type in ur dep/arr airports and fly the most current.

Eric