Sign in to follow this  
dim1309

Wing spoilers problem.

I have a BAE 146-200 (Avro RJ-100) by Eurowings and I recently replaced its panel with Matthias Lieberecht's (great) panel. Everything works fine except the wing spoilers : They only deploy just a few inches up and that's all. Since this is obviously due to some incompatibility between Lieberecht's panel and Eurowings' design, I would be very thankful to anyone who can give me a hint on the necessary changes needed (panel or/and aircraft cfgs, perhaps) in order to fix this incompatibility. Thank you in advance !

Its a easy tweek to do in the CFG file. Open your CFG file with your new aircraft what has the new panel. scroll down to find: [airplane_geometry]wing_area = 1994.000wing_span = 124.830wing_root_chord = 26.902wing_dihedral = 5.000wing_incidence = 0.500wing_twist = 1.000oswald_efficiency_factor= 0.750wing_winglets_flag = 0wing_sweep = 24.500wing_pos_apex_lon = 0.000wing_pos_apex_vert = 0.000htail_area =541.949htail_span = 49.930htail_pos_lon =-65.000htail_pos_vert = 0.000htail_incidence = 0.000htail_sweep = 30.000vtail_area =369.940vtail_span = 45.078vtail_sweep = 35.000 UR NEW PANELvtail_pos_lon =-58.000vtail_pos_vert = 5.800elevator_area =136.000aileron_area = 48.000rudder_area =123.000elevator_up_limit = 24.000elevator_down_limit = 18.000aileron_up_limit = 24.000aileron_down_limit = 18.000rudder_limit = 32.000elevator_trim_limit = 12.20spoiler_limit = 45.000 <<<<SPOILERspoilerons_available = 0aileron_to_spoileron_gain = 0.000min_ailerons_for_spoilerons = 0.000min_flaps_for_spoilerons = 0.000This is not obvisouly the aircraft it will be this is a demo on the 757. Ive marked out where you need to change the figures by putting <<<<<SPOILER. Now open up the orginial aircraft, the one with the original panel (EUROWINGS BAE). the CFG will be different. [airplane_geometry]wing_area= 4605.000wing_span= 199.917wing_root_chord= 23.000wing_dihedral= 6.218wing_incidence= 1.000wing_twist= -0.500oswald_efficiency_factor= 0.600wing_winglets_flag= 0wing_sweep= 31.5wing_pos_apex_lon= 35.000wing_pos_apex_vert= 0.000htail_area= 1090.000htail_span= 70.700htail_pos_lon= -84.5htail_pos_vert= 0.000htail_incidence= 0.000htail_sweep= 40.000vtail_area= 573.000 OLD PANELvtail_span= 27.300vtail_sweep= 35.000vtail_pos_lon= -92.583vtail_pos_vert= 5.800elevator_area= 137.000aileron_area= 68.000rudder_area= 232.000elevator_up_limit= 24.000elevator_down_limit= 18.000aileron_up_limit= 24.000aileron_down_limit= 18.000rudder_limit= 32.000elevator_trim_limit= 16.000spoiler_limit= 62.000 <<<<<SPOILERspoilerons_available= 1aileron_to_spoileron_gain = 1.000 min_ailerons_for_spoilerons = 7.000 min_flaps_for_spoilerons = 0 Again just a demo this time on a 777. see this time the spoiler is 62.00. Change it the 45.000 from your new panel to the 62.000 from your old panel so it should look like this your new panel: [airplane_geometry]wing_area = 1994.000wing_span = 124.830wing_root_chord = 26.902wing_dihedral = 5.000wing_incidence = 0.500wing_twist = 1.000oswald_efficiency_factor= 0.750wing_winglets_flag = 0wing_sweep = 24.500wing_pos_apex_lon = 0.000wing_pos_apex_vert = 0.000htail_area =541.949htail_span = 49.930htail_pos_lon =-65.000htail_pos_vert = 0.000htail_incidence = 0.000htail_sweep = 30.000vtail_area =369.940vtail_span = 45.078vtail_sweep = 35.000vtail_pos_lon =-58.000vtail_pos_vert = 5.800elevator_area =136.000aileron_area = 48.000rudder_area =123.000elevator_up_limit = 24.000elevator_down_limit = 18.000aileron_up_limit = 24.000aileron_down_limit = 18.000rudder_limit = 32.000elevator_trim_limit = 12.20spoiler_limit = 62.000spoilerons_available = 0aileron_to_spoileron_gain = 0.000min_ailerons_for_spoilerons = 0.000min_flaps_for_spoilerons = 0.000 SAVE AND YOUR DONE! If it doesnt reply to this post ;)

THANK YOU so much for your response, your guidance and enlightening analysis, wowk !!!I will follow your instructions and I will come up with feedback.I'm grateful...D.

The BAE 146-200 developed into the RJ-85. Mathias supplied a panel for each along with some aircraft.cfg file changes he made for specific models. I have not checked to see if he ever did an RJ-100.The questions are:1. Will his gauge truly reflect the spoiler angle and control it for the Eurowings RJ-100.2. Will increasing the spoiler angle work correctly for the RJ-100 flight dynamics.

The BAE 146-200 developed into the RJ-85. Mathias supplied a panel for each along with some aircraft.cfg file changes he made for specific models. I have not checked to see if he ever did an RJ-100.The questions are:1. Will his gauge truly reflect the spoiler angle and control it for the Eurowings RJ-100.2. Will increasing the spoiler angle work correctly for the RJ-100 flight dynamics.
Thats the thing so always keep a original back up of the aircraft.cfg. Mostly this works with every aircraft though. So good luck

Wowk, yes, I always backup things when I touch files in FS. Now, about the Aircraft .cfg changes : I followed your guidance to the letter. The problem still exists. I also suspected (from the beginninig of the problem) that it can also be a matter of incompatibility of Mathias' spoiler gauge. So, before asking for help here, I bought the "FS Panel Studio". Found the particular gauge but I couldn't make its movement longer (I thought this could solve the problem, perhaps). Also, just for the history, Mathias suggests certain changes in the aircraft's .cfg file (which I also followed) but they have nothing to do with the spoilers.What do you think ?(Once again, thank you so much for this...)

Thank you, Ronzie.I would answer to the first question if I had been able to put to test the particular gauge in a gauge editor that I could ...handle (so far, the "FS Panel Studio" could not do it, unless I'm mistaken or haven't yet found all the features of the program...)As for your second question, I also had the same suspicion before I started learning how to fix this. But since I'm not an expert (I just use fs2004 for years and that's all about it), and, before starting doing things of my own (like a typical silly ignorant), I thought I'd better ask for help people who know ....100.000 times more things about aviation (simulated or not) than me.Do you have any clues about what kind of policy should be applied in this?

Remember this is a very complex modelling of the aircraft systems - are you sure that all the necessary hydraulics are running in order to have full functionality in the spoilers?If you can't get it sorted, I suggest you navigate over to Matthias' site at http://www.baepanelproject.com/ and ask your questions in the forum there. The panel project may be closed, but Matthias and some users of the panels still frequent the forums so someone will help you...Geoff

FS Panel Studio has the option to edit XML gauge files if you know XML code. Mathias's gauges are in XML.First I looked at the Eurowings Pro BAE146-200 I have with FS Panel Studio and I examined brieflly the left and right spoiler gauges.I then looked at the rj85 I placed Mathias's RJ85 panel into. This was not the latest. In the same place his gauges are called left roll and right roll that he probably uses for this. If in FS Panel Studio you select that gauge and then from the FSP menu bar select Gauge/Edit Selected Gauge it will open a tree window that you can expand each part into elements with properties of positions and values. I am attaching the XML map pix from FSP.I next looked at the spoiler handle. It was imported (pasted) from the Lear 45 throttle panel and that code is not modifiable.If he used the same technique with the panel you have using the Lear Spoiler Handle there is not much that can be done if your spot view shows the spoilers not properly extended. If he did his own handle you can similarly edit that if you are getting the wrong deployment.If it is just the Spoiler gauge you could try editing the values I emphasized in the pix I attached. The X-Y stuff is the needle position I think or hopefully the three values could be changed leaving X-Y alone to represent something more realistic. I am not sure how that works.You have already edited the aircraft.cfg for the spoiler limits without success.So first, operate the spoiler handle to max., look at the spot view, and see if they appear up at the angle stated in the aircraft.cfg of 45 degrees or whatever. Remember that hydraulics and electrics must be running. Then post what the gauge shows.You could repost in the Panel Design forum here and see what they have to say.

Thank you, Ronzie.I would answer to the first question if I had been able to put to test the particular gauge in a gauge editor that I could ...handle (so far, the "FS Panel Studio" could not do it, unless I'm mistaken or haven't yet found all the features of the program...)As for your second question, I also had the same suspicion before I started learning how to fix this. But since I'm not an expert (I just use fs2004 for years and that's all about it), and, before starting doing things of my own (like a typical silly ignorant), I thought I'd better ask for help people who know ....100.000 times more things about aviation (simulated or not) than me.Do you have any clues about what kind of policy should be applied in this?

Success, Ronzie ! You were absolutely right in suggesting the gauge check ! I played with combunations of the three values (that you kindly introduced me into-otherwise I wouldn't go that deep myself...lol) and finally it worked (...since I did all that last night and having a busy day, I forgot what that final combination was...) ! I don't know how to thank you for your time your effort and your priceless help... Just wanna say I feel grateful to you since you saved me from countless hours of searching and braking my own nerves... Please tell me how can I return this favor ...

Your welcome.Can you attach a .jpg of just the gauge linearity tree off of FS Panel Studio with your new values? Others might be interested. Whatever .jpg editor you have (paint program) should work.For those following this thread. FS Panel Studio allows the property view of any xml coded gauge where you can change the values and the position property (in this case the needle I believe) of each component. It also connects to an xml code editor (actually Internet Explorer or Firefox) where you can get a nice source code display for editing that way.Gauges coded in C or other non-interpretive compiler can not have their code changed but may be able to break out the component bitmaps for editing.Finally, FS Panel Studio can connect to a bitmap editor so it can call that up to adjust the bitmap to your needs, save, and return to FS Panel Studio.You can get it from flight1.com as a cd or download. It is not a large download and it is easier to apply upgrades with the downloaded version. It still is US $25 and supports FS9 and FSX.fspanelstudio.com for application details and forum link.