Sign in to follow this  
Guest Helli

Panel Freeze

Guest Helli

HelloA friend of mine, who does not speak English, suffered a severe virus attack on his PC. I finally succeded to clean them all out and all is running well again - except FS9. I did a deep FS9-uninstall, down to the text level of the registry, all in vain. The problem is, that FS9 starts ok, I can do all the normal choices and start a flight, I take off, all is normal. But after about 5 minutes the panel freezes: all gauges, switches, knobs and buttons are frozen. The flight itself continuous normally. When hitting "S" 3 times, all the panel elements show the new value, but the dynamics of all still is gone. Although all other (graphic related) programs on the PC run smoothly, I suspected a graphic card/driver problem. But the installation of the newest driver (GeForce 8800 GTS) did not change anything. Of course it could be WinXP, being damaged by all those viruses. My friend is ready to install XP again, but I want first to ask the experts.Is this a known failure?Many thanksHelli

Helli ,You did not give enough information about your system and MSFS setup. Give more detail.Did you install the MSFS 9.1 UPDATE?Are you flying the default Cessna at KSEA with no scenery .... all MSFS default settings?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Guest Helli

Thanks vonmar for helping.FS9 is v9.1, newly installed, no addons whatsoever. We installed it from two independant sources, both have the effect.Flight is default, Cessna, KSEA.OS is WinXP home edition.Helli

How many viewing screens?Size?Resolution(s) in use?Full screen or windowed?2D or VC view?In Windows Task Manager .. is one process taking a lot of CPU time?

Best Regards,

Guest Helli

- How many viewing screens?--------one- Size?---------19''- Resolution(s) in use?-------we tested with 1024x768 and 1280x1024- Full screen or windowed?---------both- 2D or VC view?-----------both- In Windows Task Manager .. is one process taking a lot of CPU time?------------see belowIn addition:- the sound freezes too (one ongoing sound sample)- when starting another action, such as running the Task Manager, the whole PC freezes too and the plug has to be pulled.- after such a restart Windows takes extremely long to boot.Helli

Helli ,"In Windows Task Manager .. is one process taking a lot of CPU time?"** What is the name of the process?"- after such a restart Windows takes extremely long to boot."Power OFFWait a minutePower OnKey for booting in safe mode on your system (F8 on my system).Run virus checkDo not run MSFSDoes all else work OK?Windows Task Manager OK?

Best Regards,

Guest Helli

That's a good hint, Vaughan, thanks.I am beginning to suspect too, that the viruses might have left some traces or damages in WinXP.The curious thing is though, that only FS9 is affected. All else runs smoothly.I'll report our progress.Helli

Helli,,Ok do some testing on other things. Good idea.May be a good to uninstall MSFS and reinstall after your local tests.And I must verify this:It was FS9.0 installed first (like from original CD).Then the Update to 9.1 (a "patch" from Microsoft download site). Not a file that could have been "previously" infected wit a virus.

Best Regards,

Guest Helli

Vaughan - It was FS9.0 installed first (like from original CD).-------------yes - Then the Update to 9.1 (a "patch" from Microsoft download site). Not a file that could have been "previously" infected wit a virus.-------------------This I am not sure, could have been the zip of 9.1 downloaded and stored before the viruses struck.Helli

Guest Helli

Vaughanwe followed your advice and scanned for viruses in "safe mode".We found some more!!Now my friend decided to bite the bullet and make a clean slate and install winXP anew. He just doesn't want to fool around anymore with potential virus damages.I will let you know (for your files) if we are successful.Till the - many thanks for your friendly and quick help.sincerely yoursHelli

Helli ,Ok,Sound like a good idea at this point.

Best Regards,