Sign in to follow this  
Watcher

QNH in millibars does not agree with guages

I have just started using RC4. However, I also use VRInsight's M-Panel. The M-Panel Baro mode follows the altimeter guage reading, which is always in inches regardless what setting you use in FSX. This was previously not a problem but now the only way that I am using RC4 in England the only way I seem to be able to compensate is to each time convert the millibar value to inches. Some aircraft will show the millibars when you hover the mouse over the adjustment knob but some do not. What are others doing?

I have just started using RC4. However, I also use VRInsight's M-Panel. The M-Panel Baro mode follows the altimeter guage reading, which is always in inches regardless what setting you use in FSX.
That's a coincidence! I'm just looking at the VRInsight devices with a view to allowing them to be reprogrammed via FSUIPC Lua plug-ins! We should be able to fix such problems that way. If you are interested in participating in any tests please check out the "stickies" on my FSUIPC Support Forum over on SimFlight.RegardsPete Dowson

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I suggest this as a general item.First it is a good idea to have a panel editor on hand. I have used the payware FS Panel Studio for a long time as it provides like a word processor a WYSIWYG view for dragging, inserting, deleting, and sizing gauges in your FS aircraft panel. You can use this dual reading altimeter as an auxiliary backup or main steam gauge altimeter replacement. I don't recall which aircraft it was retrieved from.Some aircraft have a standby steam gauge altimeter that reads in inches and millibars. Use this somewhere on your panel and as you adjust your ALT ref knob it should track. I am attaching the image of one from the FS9 default 744 panel as seen in FS Panel Studio.I'd request on the VRInsight user forum that they provide a function in their interface software to provide either a hot switch to change their readout (if crossing boundaries during a flight to adjust standards) or as a preset in their software. It should be fairly easy for VRInsight to provide this function. It may already be a function in their more complicated jetliner series.Now some jet panels already provide a BARO function to set pressure and type such as the PMDG Boeing series on their EFIS panel. That way you just read the FS Aircraft panel display as in my suggestion above.

I suggest this as a general item.First it is a good idea to have a panel editor on hand. I have used the payware FS Panel Studio for a long time as it provides like a word processor a WYSIWYG view for dragging, inserting, deleting, and sizing gauges in your FS aircraft panel. You can use this dual reading altimeter as an auxiliary backup or main steam gauge altimeter replacement. I don't recall which aircraft it was retrieved from.Some aircraft have a standby steam gauge altimeter that reads in inches and millibars. Use this somewhere on your panel and as you adjust your ALT ref knob it should track. I am attaching the image of one from the FS9 default 744 panel as seen in FS Panel Studio.I'd request on the VRInsight user forum that they provide a function in their interface software to provide either a hot switch to change their readout (if crossing boundaries during a flight to adjust standards) or as a preset in their software. It should be fairly easy for VRInsight to provide this function. It may already be a function in their more complicated jetliner series.Now some jet panels already provide a BARO function to set pressure and type such as the PMDG Boeing series on their EFIS panel. That way you just read the FS Aircraft panel display as in my suggestion above.
Thanks for that info Ronzie. I'll look into that approach also but really think that the ultimate approach is Peter's idea of reprogramming the M-Panel through FSUIPC.