Sign in to follow this  
DAL488

Best way to setup Speech/Voice Recog?

In the speech setup, I had "Background Adaptation" checked on so that the voice recog would automatically adapt to my voice as I used it more. However, I think this has an unfortunate side effect: for me, all sorts of the MD cockpit sounds get picked up by my mic, and I think that the voice recog tries to interpret them. For example, the trim moving warning sound is interpreted as "Now". So, as you can imagine, every time the trim moving sound goes off, the FO thinks I'm saying "Now" and he sets his altimeter.So, I have shutoff the background adaptation in hopes that this will minimize the unwanted learning by the voice program. I have also turned down the volume of my mic (unfortunately, I think the speech recog software automatically adjusts the volume regardless of what I set it at).James

Guest Samuli

Yes... that can be a bit problematic, specially if the headset or microphone is not meant for that.I was using a very cheap headset that I bought once, but I didn't have problems so far with the speech recognition. It is true that I don't like to have loud speaker volume.The other day I bought logitech USB headsets (H330), quite good price in my opinion, and can say that saw a nice improvement because of the noise cancelling mic. It really makes a big difference. I believe that it could help you quite a bit in eliminating background noise recognition as commands.If you have a "high quality sound system", or just good speakers with nice sound, and use certain amount of volume, then I immagine that you might experience that kind of recognition interference with almost any kind of device.Regards,Samuli