Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

Meigs Field ready yet

Doug,Has nothing to do with 'luck'. You have a top notch rig (my dream machine). I would HOPE there are no stutters with that bad boy! I only have a P4, 3.2 Ghz, with 2 Gig and AGP. I guess everyone has a better rig (FSX simmers, anyway) so maybe I shouldn't have said anything. So, it DOES depend on your rig, kids (boo-hoo). I like Meigs a lot, so had to try it. Right? Right. I liked the lit up fence at night and the lights inside buildings, etc. So it's got merit.(My birthday is in May, so maybe the $1200 (credit card-budget limit) plus putting it together myself will cover a 'i7/920/4870/Win7 64' rig-I hope. I have FS2002, FS2004 and FSX installed right now. The 'FRAMES' are: 60, 30, 20, respectively. I like FSX so I think it's time to 'dig deep' and take the plunge.CBNapamule
CB - Your rig is exactly what I using before I upgraded to this one. I used it with FS2004 for five years and hated to finally put it to rest. But, I process so much video that I just had to go to something a bit more robust. I've been using FS for almost 25 years now (FS2 was the first) and this is the first time I've ever had a computer that was what I'd call up-to-date. Funny thing though, no matter what I try the best this box will do with FSX is 47 FPS. And that's with all the sliders to the left and everything I can find turned off. Set all the sliders to the right and turn everything on and the FSX framerate at my defaut airport ( KMRY 28L - I learned to fly there) is 23 FPS. With FS2004 the framerate in the same circumstances is 143 FPS. Funny things these computers. Somehow I thought FSX might be a little better. Anyway, OC the 920 a bit and you should be fine. BTW, these comments shouldn't be taken as bashing FSX but, rather, just as information based on one guys experience.DougCooler Master HAF 232 TowerGigabyte GX-X58A-UD7Intel i7-960 @ 3.44GHzCooler Master V8 HSF12GB Corsair XMS3 Dominator DDR3-1600AMD 5870 GPU300GB Western Digital Raptor6TB HDD Internal - Hitachi6TB HDD External - Western Digital2X Plextor PX-880SA2X Plextor PX-870AWindows 7 Professional 64-Bit

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest napamule

Doug,Well, hello neighbor. I fly out of KSNS, Salinas Muni (which have Air Show every year-usually with Blue Angels), Rnwy 31 and is where I learned to sim (since FS98). I know every inch of territory from SF to Santa Barbara (and Morro Bay-for boats and ships). Meigs is just an old favorite and I must have it in my sims-or else I don't sleep good (hehe). I also know every inch of beach from Marina to Pajaro Dunes as I like to surf fish for Barred perch and stripers.Yeah, no bashing of Flt Sims is necessary. Fraustrations with FSX is 'normal', so we deal with it as best we can. Anyway everyone's rig is different. Mine is just 'old' (like me) so it's going to be slow. I need a new rig. Just can't seem to decide what I really want (need?). Will catch you later.CBNapamule

Napa Guy,Jalama, The Point, and Bixby Ranch, that is, if you like to camp and surf :)Gus,Those are some really cool screen shots!Mark

Guest napamule

Swoop,Me. Me. I've always used Colin McGlothlin's meigs06.zip in the past. Didn't have it installed yet as FS9 is new install. But I have the zip. Same for jhm's ILS zip. Maybe I'll install them 'next tuesday'.I camp at Morro Bay Strand (north of Morro Bay) close enough to shore to hear the waves break at night. Or at Mt Madona under the tall redwood and cedar trees and where at night you can count all the stars in the Milky Way while roasting marshmellows by campfire and listening to the coyotes howl-aaaaaah.CBNapamule