Sign in to follow this  
MortenS

Why doesn't water display correctly in Norway?

Can someone help me with this? It's fine outside the coastline, but near the coast and in the fjords, the water is not water anymore, only blue land textures.

MortenSThat's probably due to the low resolution of the WATER MASK at those higher latitudes. You could see how the other shoreline methodology (water smoothing) works in this case - it might be better in fjords since the water mask doesn't seem to reach inside them.Loyd

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Just reinstalled TP for another reason, and saw that the water mask was taken from the SRTM data or something, so begun to suspect that.Guess there no otehr way to fix this then? I guess I can't edit the shore mask?

Guess there no otehr way to fix this then? I guess I can't edit the shore mask?
I would certainly think so; I think I remember some illustrations in the SDK showing 'adding a shoreline'. If not there, then the scenery design forums. I'm sure it can be done - just a matter of acquiring new skills and putting the time in. Light masks, Water masks, and autogen annotation are well down on my 'list' right now; my 'candles' already have 5 ends each...Loyd

Yes, I know that can be done, but doesn't Tileproxy use it's own shoreline? Can I change the shoreline in Tileproxy? FSX's default shoreline is better than the Norwegian shoreline of Tileproxy.

Yes, I know that can be done, but doesn't Tileproxy use it's own shoreline?
No, the SRTM data is "the shoreline". The only thing in TileProxy relating to shorelines is that water smoothing feature: I think it tries to determine shoreline based on color change...Why not try a little image editing ( "paint" the water blue) and see if it can make a shoreline...
Can I change the shoreline in Tileproxy?
Other than the water smoothing, I don't know. Maybe we'll get an improved water mask with the next edition...Loyd.

Tried the water smoothing, but only got strange see-through textures all over, with wather beneath it. Even in the mountains.It's not that big a deal, Tileproxy still beats default by miles, even with concrete water ;)