Sign in to follow this  
chillmeister

Getting FUIII to work in XP

Hi all,I have a problem which I'm sure is something pretty basic. When I start FUIII, my lcd monitor screen goes blank and displays the message "Out of Range". The sound is fine, just no picture and I have to ctr-alt-del to get back to the desktop.I have tried running the program in different compatibility modes, but still no luck.I have a HP Pavillion 423.uk desktop, 1.8Ghz, 2GB DDR, Intel onboard graphics chipset 48MB (845G) and latest DirectX.I ran dxdiag to see what I could find. Direct3D is enabled, but when I try testing it, I get the same "out of range" problem.Any help would be greatly appreciated, I used to play this game when it first came out and I'm keen to start playing it again :@)

Should have added, I have the Sold Out version, which says that xp is compatible so I guess it's nothing to do with compatibility mode after all

chillmeister,What is the resolution of your LCD screen? I am just wondering if that "out of range" message is somehow related to that, because FU3 has a maximum resolution of 1024x768 in normal mode. If your native resolution is higher, switch the res to 1024x768, and try loading it again.Even if this isn't the solution, I am sure that someone here will have the answer. I know for a fact that FU3 runs perfectly under Windows XP, so that isn't something that you need to worry about.By the way, I strongly recommend purchasing a copy of FU2. You can use the San Francisco scenery region from this in FU3, although you would need to reinstall FU3 to do this. I would then recommend installing my Seattle 2006 and SanFran 2006 scenery packs, plus Ansgar Avermeyer's High Detail AI Pack. The latter can be downloaded from the AVSIM FU3 File Library, and the two scenery packs can be obtained from my FileFront account using the links below.....Seattle 2006http://www.filefront.com/13912107/Seattle-2006.zip/Seattle 2006 is a significant upgrade of the Seattle scenery region, and includes extensive modifications to the fourteen largest airports (taxiway lines, lighting systems, and AI pathways have been completely refurbished and "cleaned up"), AI and taxiway modifications at the Unicom airports, hundreds of trees at virtually all of the airports, twenty extra real airfields, seven airports upgraded from Unicom to tower control (Arlington Municipal, Auburn Municipal, Bremerton National, Coupeville NOLF, Jefferson County, Pierce County and Sanderson Field), a new version of Ranger Creek (with corrected runway location), a modified terrain elevation file (the ground has been flattened at Coupeville NOLF), an animated objects package, and electricity pylons throughout the region.SanFran 2006http://www.filefront.com/13912161/SanFran-2006.zip/SanFran 2006 is a complete upgrade of the San Francisco scenery region, and includes AI modifications to the Unicom and tower controlled airports, a significant upgrade of San Jose International airport, a version of Oakland International airport that has been split into two separate components, hundreds of trees at virtually all of the airports and airfields, five extra real airfields (including a fully operational, tower controlled version of Hamilton AFB), a new version of Byron Municipal airport, six Unicom airports upgraded to tower control (Byron Municipal, Davis Woodland Winters, Half Moon Bay, Nut Tree, Rio Vista, and University), an animated objects package, and lots of interesting objects scattered throughout the region (marinas, parks, ports, bridges, oil terminals, electricity pylons, electrical substations, water towers, radio masts, fire lookout towers, lighthouses, and wind turbines).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Maybe this MS page will be helpful:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315614

dual boot: win8.1pro64bit (primary) | win10pro64bit  | mobo: MSI Prestige x570 Creation | cpu and cooler:  AMD 5950X; Noctua NH-U12A | ram: 4each 8gb sticks of ddr4-3200 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 | gpu:  nvidia RTX2070Super Founders Edition| lcd: LG 24" 4k, LG 24UD58-B

Thanks for all the info guys, will definately be expanding FUIII sometime soon, just need to upgrade my graphics card.Thanks for the link juvat, it was indeed something to do with the tv refresh rate. Had to change the default value to 60Hz in dxdiag as Windows kept on changing it back to 70 everytime I started the game :@)